We want to wait until dd is at least 6 months before starting solids; we thought there was a suspected link between early solids and diabetes and gastrointestinal problems later.

There are no known food allergies in either of our families, but there are stomach problems and dh is diabetic, though he's the only one in the family (and is young, fit, and eats well.)

Dd is 18 lbs (almost double her birth weight), supports herself well when sitting up, is eating a lot of EBM a day lately, and gets very excited when we eat. Our pediatrician, who is very progressive, said it was fine to start trying her on solids after the 4-month mark, but she also said it was fine to wait when I balked.

I hate the idea of starting her on solids - everything scares me, since no food these days is particularly "safe." But I don't want to delay it if she needs it, is ready for it, just because I have issues. :)

I've read the Kellymom stuff, and I have Super Baby Foods, but of course, nothing convinces me which way to go. She's on EBM and not nursing, so starting her on solids won't affect my supply. And if I'm not particularly worried about allergies, does it even matter? (It seems to me that, evolutionarily, babies should start eating when they have teeth...LOL.)

I'm looking for very opinionated responses, so please don't hold back!

Thanks once again...

Jude