pritchettzoo Guest

Default Do diced, cooked pears freeze and thaw well?

There's a good sale on organic pears at Whole Foods, and I thought I might buy a bunch, dice and steam them, and freeze them for later. I just am not sure about what their thawed texture would be. I suppose I should just try it, but before I waste pears, I thought I would check in here first.

I'm aiming for something akin to canned pears but without the added sugar, etc.

Thanks! :)

Anna

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Do diced, cooked pears freeze and thaw well?

I have a book called "The Busy Person's Guide to Preserving Food". For pears, it says for best quality finished product to store them whole in cold storage, such as in an unheated garage or the coldest part of a root cellar. The other options listed include freezing pears in sugar syrup (good finished product) or water bath canning in water, juice or sugar syrup (excellent finished product). The book does not list an option for freezing diced pears without sugar syrup, so I think the end result might be poorer quality texture wise. If you want any of the specific preserving directions for the pears let me know (even the cold storage directions are pretty specific).

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

I have only pureed them and frozen them but they were great that way. I don't know about just dicing them and freezing them since you're right about the texture being questionable. Lately, Mr. Finicky won't eat real pears, so I've resorted to the "lite" in the can and just rinse them off. He loves them and talk about easy for me!
    Mom to R and R

I have diced up pears that are already pretty soft and frozen without cooking. When I thawed them they were about the same, perhaps a bit softer. But if you are going for canned texture, I'd say it was about the same as that.