chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Can anything be done to improve my supply at this point?

DD is 10.5 months old. I have been having some supply problems for several months. However, for the last couple of months things have been ok. DD has been eating solids, nursing 5-6 times/day and I have been pumping 2x/day so that my husband could feed her a bottle at night.

About a week ago (preceeding my period) my supply suddenly went down hill. DD seems more hungry and I have not been able to pump more than 4 oz from BOTH sessions, whereas before I was able to pump 5-6.

I do have a hospital grade pump that I use. I just changed the little flap thing, which seems like the only part that can be changed. I'm also taking More Milk Plus, as directed on the package. Nothing seems to be helping.

Is there anything else I can do to get my supply back up? If not, should I start supplementing with formula? I hate to do it so late in the game but I don't want DD to suffer.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Can anything be done to improve my supply at this point?

It's normal to have your supply drop when your period starts, and it usually evens out. In the meantime, there are definitely things you can do to help. Fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal, and nettles can all help, and there's evidence that they work best if you combine two. Evening primrose is also great for regulating hormones (and obliterates PMS), but you do have to take it every day. Also remember to really push fluids, especially water, and nurse as often as possible.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

missmelis01 Guest

I had a very similar problem when my DS was just 6 weeks old, but I was able to get my supply back up to "normal" and now pump any where between 5 - 10 ounces per sitting, depending on the time of day.

I met with a lactation consultant and spoke to my OB and pediatrician, and this is what I did:
    I took 2 herbs for milk supply -- blessed thistle and funugreek. The fenugreek you can get a vitamin store like GNC, but the blessed thistle I had to order online.
    I cut out all bottle feeding and nursed only. After nursing, I immediately massaged my breasts in a downward motion and then pumped for 7 - 10 minutes.
    I measured out 64 ounces of water to drink a day.
    I cut out trans fats (like cakes and cookies) and stopped trying to diet (I was anxious to loose some of my baby fat!!!)

It was hard work, but after 2 weeks, my milk supply was back. Another thing you may want to consider is any stresses in your life. Stress can have a huge affect on your milk supply....

I personally would think at 10.5 months, and being on solids, you wouldn't need to supplement with formula, but that would be a call you and your pediatrician would have to make.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged! It is possible to regain your milk supply.
    Good luck!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So you are only falling 1-2oz short? Try pumping a little bit before her first nursing in the morning - just take the ounce or two that you need, there will still be plenty for her to eat. But it is normal to experience a temporary decrease in supply when your period starts.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the info.

I have been taking calcium (per kellymom) to try to counteract the pre-menstrual dip. I'm not able to take herbs directly as they make DD very gassy. So I've been taking them in a tincture via Mother's Milk Plus. I'm now 3 days into my period but my supply still seems low.

To top it all off, DD is now sick. At least she still wants to nurse. I really wanted to make it to at least a year.

Mommaof2 Guest

Fenugreek!!! So a google search and you'll find out a ton of support. My supply dropped at 6 months (I was pumping 3x at work) and I started taking 3 a day 2 times a day. It SHOT up within a few days. I was down to 3 oz of breast milk in the freezer. I never did have to do formula so it worked. You can get them from GNC