joly1 Guest

Default Second Nature feeding system

I am nursing, but trying to get my baby to learn how to use a bottle since I'm going back to work in three weeks (she's a month old). She sucks at the bottle so strongly that she swallows air and gets a little gassy. Anyone hear anything about or try usig the new Second Nature Feeding system? It's supposed to prevent this. Thanks!

ceng Guest

Default RE: Second Nature feeding system

I haven't heard froom anyone who has used the system, but I am curious about it myself. My DD is 3 months and is having trouble with the bottle also. She hated it and has trouble drinking also. I wonder if the second nature is worth it. The only problem is you havre to order it online. Stores don't carry it.

chloesmommy Guest

i've been looking at bottles to use with my breastpump. i'd bought wide-neck dr. brown's bottles but wanted to see if there is a bottle that more closely resembles the breast. the place where i took my breastfeeding class recommended second nature bc the nipple resembles a real nippple, and unlike most nipples, will only drip milk when sucked. they actually carry second nature bottles for 5 dollars, which is comparable to the dr. brown's, and about the same if i were to order it online. if you are in the los angeles area, you can go to the store and take a look. i'll probably be buying the bottle this weekend and will post after i try it out, if anyone's interested.

chloesmommy Guest

well, i tried out the second nature bottle a couple of times in the last couple of days, and dd took it a couple of times (once she took 3 ozs, and the other 2 times, just a couple of sips), but i had a really hard time most of the times. i think what was hard for her is that bc milk only comes out when she's sucking, she has no idea what's in it. so i would have to repeatedly unscrew the bottle and dip the nipple in the breastmilk. also, the shape of the nipple is really unlike a typical nipple, and unlike the human nipple, so i think that made it harder for her to accept it. after several days of trying, i decided to try the dr brown's bottles that i had originally purchased, and dd took the bottle right away, and had 2 ozs. maybe if i continued trying the second nature bottle, dd would accept it later on, but it was really hard trying to get her to take it. i still like the idea behind the second nature bottle, but it didn't really seem to work well for dd. hope that helps!

Can't tell you about the Second Nature feeding system but we started our DD on bottles right away because my milk didn't come in for about 5 days. We used the Evenflo Elite Wide Neck Bottles and DD had not problem with BFing. I like the nipple because it had multiple holes so it mimics the breast pretty well.
    good luck
    K
    DD#1 05/09