Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    papal Guest

Default How much cow milk is your one year old drinking?

We started Leela on cow milk after her birthday.. she did not like the diluted with water versions (50/50 or 75/25) so on the third attempt we just gave her 100% whole cows milk. Anyway, how much should she drink? The ped said for her size about 12-15 ounces a day... the girl loves her cow milk and guzzles about 20 ounces total during the day and nurses at night and in the morning. Cold or warm, she likes it all. Is she having too much?? Should I cut back? How much is your 1 year old drinking?

Thanks!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How much cow milk is your one year old drinking?

My ped always said around 12-16 oz. a day is good for a 1 to 2 year old. Jacob was drinking just about 16 oz. when he was just over a year old (he hardly drinks any anymore). The ped told me several times though that most kids drink WAY more than 16 oz. so I think they say that to keep the estimate on the low side since so many kids go over anyway. I think since it is just a few ounces over I wouldn't worry about it, especially if she is eating solids fine.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My ped also recommends 12-16 ounces of whole milk for over one year olds. But DD did drink more than that. I didn't really start to actively limit it until she was 2. One reason they say this is because some kids will prefer to drink their calories as milk rather than eat them as solid food. So just something to be aware of. But as long as DD wasn't gaining weight excessively, I didn't really worry about it too much.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There can be problems of anemia related to drinking too much cow's milk, plus the worry that she will get too high a percentage of her calories from cow's milk, which is not nutritionally complete. I'd try to cut her back a little. Breastmilk is so different from cow's milk that I don't include that in the recommended amounts.

Jack drinks only an ounce or two a week of cow's milk, actually.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

jubilee Guest

My ped said 16-20 ounces at one year, and then at 18 months he said 16 ounces- and if my son doesn't drink all 16 ounces we are suppose to give him Yobaby yogurt to make up the difference.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I try and hold Toby to 16-20 ounces/day but if left to his own devices I swear he would drink 50 ounces! The whole organic milk we give him is very tasty in his opinion.

We have had some luck with giving him small portions (2-4 ounces) and then seconds so he feels like he can ask for more. And we only give him milk at 3 times during the day...not a munchie or snack food. I am going to wean him down to 2 times per day since his preference seems to be a lot at one time. So maybe 2 3-4 ouncers 2x per day. Seriously he would take 2 8 ounce glasses 3 times per day if left unchecked. I have made a point of limiting other dairy foods so that he gets most of his calories from non-milk related sources.

Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

papal Guest

Default Thanks everyone!

For the last two days I have cut back.. now she gets 3 cups a day (4ounces each).

This is her food routine (i am writing this more as an archive for myself than anything.. feel free to ignore!).

--
    She gets a cup the very first thing in the morning (6am) because we hope she will sleep for another 2 hours, which NEVER happens.
    Then her morning breakfast which is usually a banana around 8am and then she naps.
    Then some cheerios around 10.00am.
    Then lunch around 12.30pm
    Then toast with butter and cheese and a cup of milk around 3.00pm (after she wakes up from her nap)
    Then dinner around 5.0pm and milk again at 6.0pm. And she goes down for the night.

There are brief nursing sessions as soon as she wakes up and when she goes to bed, but nothing significant in terms of quantity (at least I don't think so).
    --

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: Thanks everyone!

Rashimi - how did you get her to love milk? Kael doesn't seem to care for any liquids besides water. He'll drink water until he's bloated but will refuse milk, juice, soy milk. He'll take a few sips just because - definitely not in the ounces category.

He's still nursing but not really. It's more like comfort nursing than nutritive nursing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I'm lucky if Noah will drink two ounces of cows milk. He still nurses up a storm and prefers water when he is thirsty. I've been putting a small spoonful of Ovaltine into the milk to make him drink more but it's not really working. Anyone have any advice?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

papal Guest

Default RE: Thanks everyone!

We did not do anything special really. Just gave her cows milk (Horizon Organic Whole Milk) in her usual sippy cup (Take N Toss). First time we gave 50:50 (water:milk), she did not love it... neither did she like 75:25. But 100% cows milk was a hit. I also used to heat it up to blood warm (now i don't need to). I alsi held her like I was nursing her and offered it (more for my own sad feelings of giving her cows milk!) and she took it. Now she walks around and drinks it.. does not have to be held. Honestly though, she has been always eager about food in general so it was just another food to try for her I guess.
    I wish I had better advice. Maybe try adding milk to the water, slowly increasing the quantity?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast