Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default RE: Breastfeeding frustrations...

((((((Sarah)))))) I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this. You've gotten great advice. Chin up. It'll get better- I promise. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw in the towel those early weeks and how glad I am now that I didn't. Best of luck to you.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Just getting caught up from a week of too much work :)

Wanted to give you some more support-- you've gotten great advice, and it looks like things are turning up. Amazing how a few days of that can make your whole world brighter!

If it makes you feel better, we have survived 14 months without a pacifier, except for a week or two when we tried it out. There are occasional rough periods when I wish he took one, but overall it's not been a necessity.

Congratulations on your decision to stick things out, and for taking charge to make things work the way you need them to!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Just wanted to add my support, even though it's a little late. :-) I, too, was ready to give up after a rough start with breastfeeding. One hour-long visit with the LC (who was on vacation while we were in the hospital) cleared up all our problems and we haven't looked back! DS is 7 months and I will be so sad the day he decides to wean. Breastfeeding has been something only he and I share and it has been so sweet. Both my mother and MIL were not as supportive as they could have been in the beginning --- they wanted to be able to give DS a bottle and help with feeding, but I held my ground and made everyone wait until he was 6 weeks. My mom kept asking, "How long do you plan on doing this??" My hairdresser asks me every time I'm in to get my hair cut ---"You're STILL breastfeeding???" as if it's something horrible I'm doing for my child. I keep thinking to myself that I sure am glad SHE'S not my support system.

We did give DS a paci since he loves to suck and I sometimes regret it. He has to have it to fall asleep, which sometimes means popping it back in during the night. I would love to wean him from it, but it does make our life easier at times. I just hope it's not too hard to wean him from it later on.

I would say that you probably need to find a ped who is supportive of breastfeeding. Ours is and although he hasn't given tons of advice or anything, he is encouraging and it's good to see him smile when we visit and tell him we're still going strong! :-)
    Kim
    ~Harrison~ 04.06.04

Way late here, but wanted to ay congrats that things are getting better! They will only improve from here. If you're still having cracks or pain, try these
    http://www.amedababy.com/comfortgel-...ameda+hydrogel
    They were a lifesaver for me. There's a cheaper brand called soothies, that also work but these were more comfy. You can also take a tylenol before nursing (45-60 min prior, I think) if the nipple pain is really bad.
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

So sorry you are having a hard time. In my experience it takes much longer than 2 weeks to master BFing. It took us probably 6 weeks, with an intense period of self doubt and pain lasting 10 days to 2 weeks. But, please don't give up, it will get better. I've been there, c-section, baby in NICU, "flat" nipples (who knew!), pain and cracked nipples to the point I cried while he nursed and thought of taking my left over Percocet. I did take Ibuprofen, I finally figured out how to get a correct latch, got off the nipple shield and haven't looked back. But it was hard, I felt like a failure and couldn't believe it was so hard.

I would really consider getting a new pediatrician based on their advice, as I have never heard of a doctor saying your newborn was gaining "too much" weight from BFing. Our pediatrician is the medical director/supervisor of the lactation consultant for a great hospital. Everything I've been told or read says not to use a pacifier to extend time between feedings. Your baby is just really hungry and growing and thriving! My son gained a full pound or just over a pound each week for the first 4 weeks just BFing and our ped said way to go, he is doing great! Even though I felt like I was doing BFing all wrong, was nursing constantly, etc. he kept gaining. He's been BFing coming up on 8 mos now.

I would try to find a more supportive lactation consultant to work on the latching, use lanolin on your nipples when you take a shower, and if you can handle it let him nurse on the engorged side. Also check out www.kellymom.com. I made it through by looking at these boards and that web site. You are right that pumping may be making you even more engorged. If you pump, I would just pump enough to relieve the engorgment. My son did take a bottle of expressed BM since had been in the NICU and I did take about 15 hours "off" and husband gave him bottles of BM when I was at my most painful point.

Hang in there, take care of yourself, take some Ibuprofen if you need to, have some chicken soup, and congratulations on your thriving little girl. You are doing a great job and her weight gain is terrific.

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm glad to hear things are better for you. We had a tough start too. It gets so it's hard to even remember all the problems, even just a few months later.

We gave in to the paci on day 2! It was great for a while, but then it was a nightmare. We ended up going cold turkey at 4 months. It was a hard 3 nights, but life is much better without it now. So, even if you end up using it now, you can get rid of it down the road.

I didn't have cracked nipples, but did have pain. I found the re-useable, cotton breast pads were much, much better than the disposable ones. I think it was the plastic backing that caused me the most problems. I liked Avent. I had a bunch and just washed them every couple of days.

Good luck!!
    Kris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3