missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Need Lactation Consultant in Stafford, VA area

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good LC in the Stafford, Virginia area. My sister is having problems breastfeeding her 2-week old baby and has been told to supplement because he's not gaining weight.

She's committed to breastfeeding but is kind of at a loss. She knows his latch isn't great and her supply doesn't seem to be what it was with her first 5 kids.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif
    20 months and counting!

HelenD Guest

Default RE: Need Lactation Consultant in Stafford, VA area

Hey, I live in Stafford!

I recommend this one completely.
    Caroline Conneen (I'm un sure about the spelling of her last name, but this is definitely her:
    (540)371-3004 (I called and checked...her business is Mother's Best she also writes the articles for Fredericksburg Parents magazine)

She teaches the BF class at Mary Washington Hospital and is REALLY terrific. I mean REALLY. She often works at the lactation center at Mary Washington Hospital as well as having her own business. Also, she does a FREE mommy's meeting every Wednesday at HomeCare America (in the shopping center across from Burlington Baby Depot on Rt. 3) from 10-11:30. This SAVED me. It's a meeting for new mommies and a lactation consultant is there every week for FREE and you can weight your baby on a digital scale. It's really WONDERFUL. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Here's some information from the LaLeche League of Va:

http://www.lllusa.org/VA/WebParkVA.html

I actually called the one in Stafford w/ a question and they were VERY helpful.

There is a task force on Breastfeeding

540 899 6121 (Trained volunteer will call back in 24 hours)

They say you can call : 540 374 4388 Mother Baby Unit at Mary Washington as well.

Also, I'm just a Mommy, not a medical professional, DD and I are on our 13 month of BF, so if you want to email via the board privately, I'd be glad to offer local support in the form of a phone call or whatever.

BTW, a really, really, REALLY good local pediatrian who is pro BF is Dr. Anne Bradshaw, ABC Pediatrics, 540 373 2228

Best of luck.

I'll try and update here if I think of anything else.

Helen

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Thanks, Helen!

I'll forward your post to my sister. She breastfed her first 5 kids without any problems, so this situation has taken her by surprise. The baby isn't gaining weight well and seems to have a lot of trouble with his latch. She does have an appt with the LC at the hospital (not the one you mentioned) on Friday, so hopefully that will be helpful to her. If not, I'll encourage her to use the resources you've provided.

Thanks again,
    Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif
    20 months and counting!

HelenD Guest

Best of luck to her.

My sister in law, a neonatal nurse had trouble with her 4th after BF the other 3. It happens. And her husband is a Neonatal DR.

Helen