Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Question for exclusively breastfeeding moms: When did your menstrual cycle begin?

DD is 14 months old and still no AF for me. We are starting to think about DC #2, so I may need to cut back on her nursing sessions.

Jennifer
    Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Question for exclusively breastfeeding moms: When did your menstrual cycle begin?

Mine came back at 13 months post-partum. However, by then, Nate was no longer exclusively breastfeeding and hadn't been for some time (since about 6 months, when we introduced solids).
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you had that checked out? I have historically had very light periods, even when my period returned at 13 months post-partum. However, for 2 months in a row (around 18 months post-partum), I had very heavy periods. My GP told me that that can be a sign of iron deficiency and had me checked for that and a couple of other things.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

hellosmiletoday Guest

The results are making me feel better, since apparently solids have no bearing on the onset of menstruation. DD is getting a tiny bit of solids...1/3 baby food jar, and a few teaspoons rice cereal...no formula.

She doesnt even sleep through the night...5 hours MAX.

Thankfully, there was very little cramping and no nausea with my period.

The only other thing I can think of is that DD's pacifier's use contributed to early periods?

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

Mine returned 5 months PP, and DD was nursing at least every 3 hours and through the night (she was a frequent nurser!!) She never took a pacifier and we hadn't even introduced solids. I cried because I was so shocked it returned, I thought it had to be something else but then 5 weeks later it was back. Even now DD is extra fussy the week before my period, I think my supply dips or the extra chocolate I'm consuming bothers her ;-)

It's not your fault, you didn't do anything to cause it to come back. What worried me the most was I was very possibly able to become pregant again that soon after giving birth - scared the crap out of me!!!

Lisa

Default RE: Question for exclusively breastfeeding moms: When did your menstrual cycle begin? Edited

Our DD's are 1 day apart. How cool1

I got AF 4 months after PP so luck you. :( A lot lighter and shorter but it was still disappointing since then I was excusively BGing. And DD does get fussy around my period because it affects my milk supply. We also use a pacifier, only for sleep, but I don't think that has anything to do with. DD eats like a champ, BF's 4-5 times a day and take an 8 oz bottle of EBM or formula at night!

As for solids, we only started few days ago but it's just a little rice and oatmeal cereal. Solids don't really make a difference until you start introducing protein, I think around 10 months or so.

K
    DD#1 05/09

essnce629 Guest

Caroline-- No I haven't had it checked out. I just assumed it was something that happened after you had a baby. I never thought of iron deficiency. Is that why yours were so heavy? I'll look into it. Thanks.

***Latia
    Conner 8/19/03
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

And Colin was sleeping through the night (11-12 hours straight) for about 6 months before AF returned! There really is no telling...
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Default RE: Question for exclusively breastfeeding moms: When did your menstrual cycle begin? Edited

Mine returned at around 7-8 months after my DS was born; he's 13 months old now and we're still breastfeeding a lot. He did start solids around that time, too, but as in your case, it was such a small amount that I can't imagine that would have caused it. He still doesn't sleep through the night, and he actually *stopped* using a pacifier several months earlier, so that can't be it, either. I think my supply has been reduced a little, but mostly I just notice that I can't pump as much and my breasts aren't quite as enormous.

As others have said, my periods are MUCH different than they were prepregnancy. I used to have cramps the day before AF started; now, not at all. I used to take Advil around the clock; now maybe 1-2 pills during the whole time. The flow is lighter and doesn't last as many days.

And I haven't had a single pimple since I got my positive pregnancy test in January 2003. OTOH, I probably have a few more gray hairs ;-) I definitely feel "different" hormonally, and wonder what it will be like when we eventually wean.

It's been interesting reading others' responses. I've been thinking about this stuff and I'm glad you posted the query!
    Katia

mine came back at 15 months. It didn't happen until we were going 12 hours between nursing or pumping. Once I stopped pumping at work, and she nurses at 6:00 AM and then again at 6:30 PM, that is when it came back.

Had I known, I would have kept pumping.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast