Buffys Mommy Guest

Default Extended pumping & dropping a session

Sarah started daycare last month and we decided to delay starting whole milk so I'm pumping. For those of you who pumped the first year - I commend you because I don't think we would have lasted a year if I had to pump from 6 weeks.

I'm finding that I can get the same amount of milk in one afternoon pumping session as I do in two sessions (one morning, one afternoon). Could this have an effect on my supply? I'd much rather pump once a day to get 8 oz then twice.

Tammie
    Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: Extended pumping & dropping a session

Eventually it may have an affect on your supply. Take my #'s with a grain of salt-- everyone pumps different amounts based on what their babes take in, but you'll get the general idea. I was a 25+ oz. a day pumper at my peak when I pumped 3x's a day at work (and only at work). I cut down to twice a day, and my output worked its way down to 16+ oz. a day. Now I'm down to one session a day where I get 12+ ounces on a good day, which is fairly consistent with what he drinks at the sitter's. Yesterday I got 8. My DS has not taken whole milk consistently yet, so it's just mom's milk and water for beverages usually, however he does eat lots of solids.

A side note-- I work 4 days a week, and let DS nurse as much as he wants on my long weekends. I really believe that's had a positive effect on my supply over the long haul.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

yes it probably will affect your supply. When milk sits in the breast, it gives the signal "make less milk" to the breasts. So, over time you will get less at that one pumping session.

I am assuming that she would have been nursing twice during that time. If it was only once then you should be fine to pump just once.

If you are getting 8 oz a day at age 13 months when you have not been a regular pumper, that is fantastic!

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It could, but you can slowly drop to one session a day to see if it does. How long have you been pumping? I'd stay at twice a day for a few weeks, to see how your body responds to going from nursing to pumping. Then, rather than totally drop to once a day, try it once or twice a week. I first did 2x a day on M-W-F and 1x a day on T-Th, for a few weeks, then dropped to 1x a day when I felt my supply was stable. Keep watching your output, too. At this stage, if I send less one day, it's not a big deal, but I wanted to make sure that there is enough stimulation that Jack will continue to be able to nurse at will (which he certainly does!) For the last two weeks, I have skipped a day or two of pumping, using my freezer stash to cover those days, in anticipation of stopping totally in January.

It was nice to be able to slowly introduce cow's milk -- I'm pretty sure he will tolerate it well when he starts in jaunary at daycare, based on giving it to him a dinner once or twice a week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

aliceinwonderland Guest

If you WANT to keep pumping, would do it as frequently as possible (As many times as baby would eat).
    I ABSOLUTELY hate pumping, do not have a decent place to pump,I pump less, and as a result my supply has decreased a bit, so I have to supplement.

Buffys Mommy Guest

Thank you so much everyone for the advice. I don't mind pumping at work since I have my own office, but I do tend to get caught up in stuff and realize that oops, I didn't pump yet today. I was hoping that since the output has been the same that I could just pump once. I think I'll try Shannon's advice to do 2x M-W-F and 1x T-Th for a few more weeks to make sure my supply stabilizes since I have no freezer stash.

Sarah's not enjoying cow's milk yet, although she did have her first sips of chocolate milk the other day and loved that (bad mommy, I know.). I'm hoping to continue to pump until February or March to try and get her through cold & flu season, then transition to cow's milk at daycare and nursing at home.

Tammie
    Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

When I dropped a pumping session I would get the same amount of milk like you described (i.e. one 8-oz session versus two 4-oz sessions) for about a week, then my body would taper off and go down to 4-6 oz for that one session, so I guess after a while your body learns to make less milk instead of "banking" it, which is how I weaned my pumping sessions.