Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why? Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the head:

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the hea

At first I tried using a blanket, but since DD and were still new at it I couldn't see what was going on, so I gave up the blanket. By the time we got the hang of it all she didn't want the blanket over her. Plus, like one of your "No" options, I really don't care what people see.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?

Eh... Depends on what I'm wearing, where I am, and whose company I'm in. I don't care if anyone knows that's what I'm doing. I do try to let anyone who seems like they'd be uncomfortable pretend they don't know what's happening; and I do try not to let it all hang out so that someone might see something they don't want to see. I'm not paranoid about it, though.

Whether I would actually need a blanket depends on what I'm wearing; in a nursing blouse, nothing much is visible no matter what I do. Other shirts, maybe. I never do use a blanket, though, because in the newborn stage I needed to see DS to help him out; and since then, he won't let a blanket be over him while he nurses. He wants to stop eating and pull it out of the way, or even stop and play with it -- no thank you. He won't stand for my shirt touching his face, either, so sometimes we wind up with a nice little tug of war while he tried to pull my shirt up and I try not to let him expose my entire bosom.

ginalc Guest

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the hea

I think it totally depends on Mom, breast size, the age of the baby, and the people you're around.

I have never felt the need to cover simply because I'm a B-cup and my clothes & baby provided enough discreteness. At a church breakfast one gentleman came over to see our newest addition and it wasn't until he was getting ready to leave (carressed baby's cheek) that he realized that we were nursing! :)

I have a GF with very large breasts and she just couldn't manage to
    hold the baby, nurse, and cover what she wanted so she wore a nursing cape in public. I guess it's better than sitting in the bathroom to nurse!

gina, mom to 3
    new baby due 5/05
    BFing 5 yrs and counting!

I voted that I don't because it draws more attention, but it's more than that. I want to be able to see her while she is nursing and I can't see her with a blanket over her. In the beginning it took two hands, sometimes three, to get her positioned and latched on.

And I don't really care what people see. I'm feeding my baby, not trying to sexually arouse every man within a 50' radius. If they can't tell the difference, then I feel sorry for them.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

hellosmiletoday Guest

I've never actually NIP. However, I have nursed in the car and always use a large blanket, so I voted "other". But I wear my normal wardrobe even one piece dresses, so sometimes it would be hard to be discreet, even in the car (too bad there's no tinting in the dashboard).

Other times I've nursed in a fitting room or just bring some EBM and ask for warm water at a restaurant.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I voted that I wanted to be discreet-- but also because I am about the most modest person I know. I don't even like sharing a changing room to try on clothes with friends during a hectic shopping day! I've loosened up *considerably* in the last few months so we'll see what I do next time around with a tiny little one.

We don't NIP much anymore, and when we do nurse while we're out, it's generally in the car or in a changing room. Mostly because I need DS to be distracted as little as possible or he's back for more in 15 minutes :)
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I edited this poll so many times trying to get it right, I think my commentary disappeared.

I've noticed this quite often: yesterday I was at the mall and walking with Ds when I saw a woman with the blanket over her shoulder which screams to me: "I AM BREASTFEEDING! NO ONE LOOK AT ME!" LOL. Funny, b/c I hardly ever notice anyone nursing without that blanket cover up. So I thought I'd see if I was the only one who it struck odd, or there was some other reason for "the blanket," that I did not think of.

We did not do it b/c in the beginning there was no way I could have gotten him on while covered up, then I started thinking it would be stuffy or uncomfortable under there.

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?

DD won't eat with anything over her head. so there's no point trying the blanket thing. When she would, I used to nurse with her in the sling and the tail over her, but that ended when it became much more attention getting than my breast could ever be (she pushes up my shirt and flashes people sometimes, but at least she doesn't scream while doing so!)

Ok. I voted other. I hardly NIP because DD just gets too distracted and delatches every 5 seconds! The blanket worked a little between 2-3 months but since then it's something DD wants to tug on/chew and play with. So I mostly do the car thing. If we're in a restaurant I ask for a booth if possible and to be placed in a quite corner.
    K
    DD#1 05/09

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast