Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the hea

I voted No, because I don't care. But, its really more than that. I feed DS wherever he happens to be when he's hungry, I feel its my right as a mom. Also, and this is gonna sound corny, but I want to be a good example of a nursing mom. I think its fine if people see me nursing DS in the mall food court, restaurants, airport, airplanes, parks, etc, because it should just be a normal, boring, thing. Bottle feeding is normal and boring in all of those locations. By doing it anywhere, I feel I'm helping to normalize it. If someone was staring REALLY hard RIGHT at my chest, they might see a .2 second nipple flash as DS latches on, but if they are looking that close, they've got a problem, IMO.

ETA: and I am not a particularly modest person. I think its great to see moms and babes nursing all over the place, blankets or no blankets, whatever works for you!
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the hea

I've always wondered about this- I too have always felt like a blanket draped over one shoulder screams, "I'm nursing, don't look!" I really don't like to cover that way, partly because it seems so obvious, and also because it's a bit of a struggle to do. But at the same time, it's sort of the "socially accpetable" way to nurse in my circle of friends. I tend to compromise and wrap DD in a blanket that sort of covers us, but isn't draped like a tent over the both of us. I feel like for me at least, this is actually more discrete. When I'm around family and close girlfriends, I don't use a blanket at all.

indigo Guest

Like a PP, I use a blanket because I'm pretty modest - I don't even like using the showers at the gym, preferring instead to go home and change. I think the blanket is an "obvious" sign for those of us who nurse, but for the uninitiated I think it's not attention-grabbing. While I'm willing to defend my right to NIP (and have on occasion), sometimes I just don't want to be hassled by uneducated security guards or wait staff who might be alarmed by a flash of skin.

I do think that breast size has something to do with it - I know friends who nurse without a coverup and you can't see a thing whereas for me it's a little more exposure. Also, for friends/acquaintances who aren't used to NIP, the blanket allows them to be more comfortable interacting with me without awkward sideways glances or strained conversation (meanwhile hopefully increasing their comfort level with NIP gradually).

That said, when I'm with close friends or other nursing moms I don't bother with the blanket.

I agree that BFing is nothing to be ashamed of and I totally support those who NIP proudly!

indigo
    DD 7/03
    [/url]

missmelis01 Guest

I voted yes. I usually cover just while DS latches on, take the cover off while he nurses and then recover when he is finished and I try to tuck everything back in. My boobs went from a large B/small C to almost a DD, and I am extremely self-conscious of them and am still getting used to.... working with them, so using a cover gives me a little added security! :D

Otherwise, I don't mind BF in public and don't care who sees me. I am sensitive, though, to the fact that it might make people uncomforable (like my uncle) so if I get that sense, I will leave the cover on. However, I am finding that it is harder and harder to use the cover because Lucas doesn't like it and usually will pull it off!!!

I voted yes- I have used a coverup in public numerous times, and it's usually because I don't want to make people too uncomfortable. (NIP seems to be pretty rare around here- just the fact that I'm doing it, coverup or no, is helping desensitize people I think). The longer I BF the more comfortable *I* am, though, and I'm getting less and less concerned with others' feelings on the matter. These days, I usually only use a coverup if I have to nurse in a very exposed spot. Otherwise, I don't bother.

One nice thing about the poncho fad right now is that you can use one as a stylish coverup, and it doesn't scream "baby nursing here".

And oh, yeah, if I'm using a coverup it is something that secures around me somehow (like a poncho for instance)- I hate trying to nurse littleman while juggling a slippy, bunchy blanket, keep him focused and look relatively sane and discreet at the same time. Forget it! I'd rather do without.

I must say I've been a bit surprised at myself when it comes to how "modest" I was feeling about NIP. Physically, I am not a very modest person, but I felt very self- concious in the early months of BFing. (Not at home, only in public). I preferred to nurse in the car or in a ladies' lounge, and would always use a coverup, or would pump a bottle instead. Gradually I've lost this uncharacteristic modesty, but I'm surprised how long it took to really feel comfortable.
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

quikeye Guest

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?

I always/usually use a blanket to cover up when we nip, I only don't use one when I'm nursing in the car. Otherwise I always make sure I have some sort of cover when I may be out & babe may want to nurse.

I just don't feel comfortable otherwise, not b/c I'm ashamed or don't want to make anyone else uncomfortable, but just that I don't want parts of me exposed (I'm *really* shy about my body, I never wear shorts nor anything remotely form fitting nor body baring/hugging). Just always been that way, and can't stand the idea of anyone seeing any part of my body I wouldn't normally expose (I'm not just talking breast, but any exposure of skin other than arms/neck...)

My blankets may look like *hey I'm breastfeeding!* but, hey! I like nip'ing, and I like drawing attention to the fact I can and do. I just don't like being exposed. I actually have some beautiful, soft, *bright* blankets for the occasion (I kinda treat it as an occasion, splurging on some really nice tiny coverup blankets... my latest favorite is green-- super soft from Tea Collection in pima cotton; I think I'll knit my next one...) But, reading some of the comments made me kinda feel like some think using a blanket is somehow "against the cause" of nip... I'm actually very proud that I nurse for as long as I have & that I do it in public, and don't feel that using a blanket diminishes that at all. :)

Not offended, but just wanted to say that using a blanket isn't a bad thing-- hey! At least babe is nursing :) Like a monster under there, too! Hehe...

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

"My blankets may look like *hey I'm breastfeeding!* but, hey! I like nip'ing, and I like drawing attention to the fact I can and do."

More power to you!
    =)

I was very self-conscious about NIP early on, mostly b/c I felt like I was not doing it right, wouldn't be a good example, didn't want to turn people off of BFing, etc. It seems silly now, but I remember those thoughts then. I think our first NIP was when Ds was about 4 months old. I used a blanket, but not the drape over the shoulder tent-method...more like loosely covering Ds with added bonus of bunching it up over his shoulder to camoflauge any errant flesh. LOL. That is pretty much how we used blankets for NIP. I sure wish I could have sling-nursed...I'm definitely going to try to get that down next time.

I voted yes only because I did for about 2 weeks after DS was born. BF'ing was really hard in the beginning and I couldn't feed DS without baring my entire boob. So I covered with the blanket until I got the hang of it. After that I just hiked my shirt up and hoped for the best. I still feed DS in public but it's getting harder because he's constantly trying to be in wierd positions.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

essnce629 Guest

This reminds me of a funny scene I once saw when I was still pregnant. I was actually going to a small class of some sort with other pregnant women and moms of infants, and this new young mom (probably about 19 years old) had her newborn with her. Well, the baby started crying and the mom took out a pretty big blanket (not a receiving blanket), draped it completely over HER OWN head AND her baby's entire body and for about 3 minutes was under there getting her latched on. Can you image sitting right next to a breastfeeding mom who is completely under a huge tent-like blanket? I can just imagine what the people coming in were thinking when they saw her. LOL.

I on the other hand used a blanket once I think. I had to return to nursing school when my son was 3 weeks old and I had to meet with the heads of the department (both women and moms) for a meeting to discuss my future plans. I had my son with me and he had started fussing before they came into the room so I got him latched on and then covered him with a blanket. I remember being so nervous, but now I look back and think it wasn't necessary since both were moms themselves-- one with 3 kids and the other with 5! And as nurses I'm sure they'd seen everything.

I'm another person who thinks the blanket draws a lot more attention. Both my bf and I were full-time college students when we had our son. We didn't live together and at the time, my bf lived with two other 22 year old male roommates. There are many times I have breastfed in front of them and most of the time I don't even think they knew I was breastfeeding. I just hiked my shirt up enough to expose my nipple, Conner latched on, and his head alone covered anything that may potentially be exposed. I've never flashed anyone. And believe me, if anyone's going to stare and wait for a flash of exposed skin, it's going to be 22 year old young horny college boys!

***Latia
    Conner 8/19/03
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

alexandria1981 Guest

I have no problem NIP but I really think that modesty is important and I don't want to be flashing my stomach to the world when I have to lift my shirt. My DD really enjoys the blanket, it keeps her focused. Also, it keeps people from getting embarassed. I saw a woman setting on a display at the gap once with her lovehandles showing for all the world to see, though I wanted to cheer her for NIP, I thought she should have been a little more aware and covered up a bit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast