Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the hea

I'm not attacking the poster. I'm disagreeing with her viewpoint. That is well within the guidelines the Fields have set up. Feeling offended is not something you can legislate, and what we're saying here is that we don't have to be singled out in this post in order to care very much that people feel this way. As nursing mothers, we are ALL affected by disapproval.

Furthermore, to single me out this way in a discussion in which there are lots of views from lots of angles is unfair. I disagree with what the poster is saying here. She disagrees with me. Okay. That's the nature of discussion sometimes. And most importantly, it's allowed on these boards.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

gour0 Guest

Default RE: The Blanket Breastfeeders...Why?Do you cover with a blanket while breastfeeding? I noticed another mother doing this at the mall today (b/c I always notice it...it's like a neon sign over the hea

I voted other too. DS would never let me cover his head with a blanket, ever! I only really NIP when absolutely necessary (i.e. in the airport or on a plane). Although, I got more bold by the end. But, I was too hung up to nurse in front of family and friends too. Mostly, I nursed in the car or with my back to people. I also liked to be somewhere quiet where he didn't get so easily distracted. Head-whipping is very painful! ;)
    But, I think people should nurse wherever and whenever they want, no matter what they're wearing or how they look doing it.

gour0 Guest

I think it is sad when an old user registers as a new user and doesn't identify himself or herself.

ddmarsh Guest

Very sad indeed.

parkersmama Guest

"I am ashamed that moderators treat new members this way."

Speaking as a "new" member yourself? I would think you'd be more surprised than ashamed seeing as how you're new to the community yourself. Or are you really?

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

>I think it is really sad that a new person joins BBB, posts
    >her opinion and then is attacked by no less than the
    >moderator. Alexandria has tried to explain her position
    >numerous times and many of you have refused to understand her
    >position, misinterpreted her responses and said you were
    >personally offended by her opinion, although she never
    >personally attacked any of you. I am ashamed that moderators
    >treat new members this way.

Well, you only have 12 posts...but it sounds like you've been around a while if you are ashamed on behalf of the group.

Frankly, Alexandria said something several of us found offensive. She stands by what she said with no apologies. The offended stand by what they said with no apologies. As far as I can see, that's about all there is to say without starting to make personal attacks and sling mud, so why don't we just stop there.

What is it that you were trying to add?

cinrein Guest

I voted other. I used a blanket because if I didn't Anna would look at anything and anyone around and not nurse. The blanket kept her focused on the task at hand. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

i tried it once. the blanket. he got so hot, he started screaming. the blanket wasn't for me. it was for elderly men who think it is weird to see women NIP. i couldn't care less. i decided that the elderly men need to get the heck over themselves if they cared and i would just do what was easiest for me and for schuyler. end of stuffy, hot blankets.

(also small chested, so pretty easy to be discreet anyway. never bothered with nursing clothes. just did the pull up because my giant baby covered my stomach.)
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

gour0 Guest

In a board with several thousand people, you are bound to offend someone if you make a judging statement about another. You were imposing your standard of modesty on that nursing woman. You personally would not like to expose your stomach for the world to see. Fine. If you had ended your statement there, noone here would have been upset.
    But, you went on to say that she should not either. That it is ok to NIP , but only if you are aware of others' feelings and mindful of modesty. Well, she does not have to. All she has to do is what she feels comfortable doing. If she wants to expose her stomach, she may. She has a right. Just because you feel that that is not seemly or modest, doesn't make it wrong. It just makes it wrong for you. You don't get to decide for her how she nurses or what she wears.
    And, even if you did not mean to offend, you clearly did and it would have easily ended if you had simply said, "I'm sorry I offended." instead of repeating that you did no wrong.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5