eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default I don't use organic fruits & vegetables--how bad is this?

I prepare 90% of the solids for my 8 month old DS, only occasionally relying on something from a jar. However, I never choose organic fruits and vegetables because of the expense. I clean thoroughly the produce I buy...but is organic really that much better?? If it was even just slightly more expensive than regular, I'd go for it, but my supermarket sells it for what seems like astronomically higher prices. (Also, while there is a farmer's market in my area on Saturdays, it is impossible for me to go.)

Should I get over the guilt and feel ok about the non-organic stuff, or should I get over my frugality and buy the organic?

(It's a ways off, but I will buy organic milk for DS when that time comes--definitely.)

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: I don't use organic fruits & vegetables--how bad is this?

It matters more for some stuff than for others. I'm afraid I don't have the list handy, though. With any luck, another mother will re-post the list or link to it here; if not, you may be able to search for it on this forum or in the Lounge (I know it got posted there a month or so ago). I do remember that apples and grapes are high on the "best if organic" list.

You might check around -- though the regular grocery stores near me have limited selection and high prices, there's a produce-only store not far away that has a lot of organic produce for only slightly more than I'd pay for regular produce at the regular grocery stores. (The non-organic produce is usually cheaper than anywhere else.)

There are tons of people that don't use organic. I did reliously in the beginning based on some research that I read but there are plenty of healthy and happy kids that have not had an organic diet!

Make sure you peel everything and if the produce doesn't look all that appealing, buy frozen!!!

We don't use organic milk, I just make sure it is hormone free. It is much cheaper than organic and readily available at Whole Foods where we shop at least once a week.

Get over the guilt! You're doing great. :)
    Mom to R and R

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Personally I don't worry about it. I used Earth's Best foods more because I think they taste better than because they are organic.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Don't worry about it! The fact that you're making 90% of his foods is a big accomplishment. I admit that I buy organic fruits & veggies only when it's convenient or they're on sale. I do make most of DS's food, and I make sure the f & v that I do give him are peeled and thoroughly clean. As a pp said, plenty of kids are healthy and happy without an organic diet.

Feel ok with the non-organic. You're doing a great job. :-)
    Erin

DS1 2/04
    DS2 5/06
    DD 10/09

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We do buy mostly organic produce but it is cheaper in our area than it is elsewhere since we buy a lot direct from a group of farmers (we just get what they deliver) and also we live near like 4 fruit stands and every store carries organic so it goes on sale more. We do buy some conventional things and I frankly don't care to feel guilty about it. Berries and grapes are an ONLY organic produce item (I refuse to buy these items if not organic) for us but that is about it for me. The rest is most often organic but I do grab conventional produce. There is usually at least 1 conventional produce item in the kitchen. I frankly buy organic for the environment and for a healthy local economy more than the risks for Toby or us.

We do buy only organic dairy and organic kosher red meats. The hormone free stuff is not sufficent for me since most of it in our local stores has a label saying that it is free of one specific hormone, not the whole range of possible hormones used. And as for meats I just feel better about the safety of an organic, local and kosher meat product. Milk and dairy are important to me due to the risk of the hormones in dairy and the safety issue in meat- unsafe meat is kinda a worry of mine.

We are ridiculously miserly with our grocery budget now and are only able to buy organic on that budget because of the area that we live. If we lived elsewhere we might forgo the mostly organic produce and just get organic berries and milk and meats.

I frankly think that the risks of conventional produce is small enough that you should not break a budget to buy organic. Nor should you worry about it!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is the link a PP was referring to:

http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

Scroll down and there's a list on the right hand side of things you should try to always buy organic.

As for us, we try to buy organic as much as possible, but I don't sweat it if B eats something conventional. I have released myself from the worry and guilt.

~ deb
    Mommy to my sweet boy
    B born 12/03
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thank you all SO MUCH! I feel relieved. I will check out that list and I'm not opposed to buying certain items as organic only...that might be a good solution.