Default Nursing / Sucking Blisters

My new grandson breastfeeds and bottle feeds and has developed an upper lip full of blisters. They are now drying out and cracking (I assume from the cold, dry air). He has had these for quite some time . I would appreciate it if you would share what you have done to possibly prevent these and how you treat them. My daughter now puts vaseline on the area. They don't bother him but I am concerned they may start to hurt just like a bad case of chapped lips!
    NewGrandma

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Nursing / Sucking Blisters

There's really not much to do about them, if it's a sucking blister (usually right in the center of the lip.) They don't usually relate to bad latch or anything, just the skin of the lip is sooo delicate that any friction will cause the blister, like a callus. When my son had them, they didn't seem to hurt him at all, though when they get dry, they would sometimes be a little irritating to my nipples! Tell your daughter to resist the urge to pick at them though!

If your daughter has a lanolin nipple cream like Lansinoh or Medela PureLan, I'd use that over the vaseline, just to avoid him swallowing the vaseline (which is petroleum based.)

Congrats on your grandbaby!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

sdbc Guest

Default RE: Nursing / Sucking Blisters

ITA about using Lansinoh instead. Also, if they are not already doing so, they might set up a humidifier in the room he sleeps. I find that makes a big diff with chapped lips.