Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    alaible Guest

Default RE: Mother's of toddler's who don't drink milk - how do you get fat into your child?

I really haven't found any strategy that works on my picky eater. She eats what she wants to and how much she wants to and any amount of coaxing usually just pisses her off. She is still BF once a day before her nap but I am 27 weeks pregnant and I don't think she is getting much milk from me it is more just to help her fall asleep at this point. And she doesn't really drink milk. For a short while she would drink a little milk if I gave her 2% instead of whole milk but lately she hasn't been drinking milk at all.

But she loves yogurt and cheese so her Dr. wasn't concerned about fat, calcium, or protein. I give her full fat yogurt and cheese none of the "lite" stuff. YoBaby makes a yogurt for kids that is made with whole milk that we sometimes use and I sometimes get LeCreme by Dannon depending on where we are shopping.

DD is very small for her age too. She has always been below the 25th% for weight. Between 18 months and 21 months she only gained 6 ounces :( But she is healthy aside from the ocassional cold. Both Dh and I are picky eaters so I shouldn't be surprised. But DH is 6ft 4in tall and I was hoping DD would get some of his tallness but it looks like she is going to be a shortie like me, I just wish I was that skinny :)

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Mother's of toddler's who don't drink milk - how do you get fat into your child?

I wish DD had more teeth. I think it would help if she could actually eat a sandwich but I think its too much to gum. She only has 4 teeth. We're patiently waiting for more.

I guess I"ll try the fortified shake route and try to get her to sip from a straw.

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

It took Kael a couple of months to drink milk. I've finally got him to drink about 10 ounces a day - his ped wants him to take in 16 ounces a day so we have a ways to go. I first started with Vanilla flavored Soy milk then mixed it with whole milk then gradually went with more whole milk until he's drinking straight whole milk.

He is also dropping in weight - went from the 20th percentile to the 10th. I've started sprinkling non-fat powdered evaporated milk in his milk and yogurt to boost the calories. I am also feeding my picky eater several small meals rather than 3 large ones. So now he wakes, eats, plays, eats again, then naps; repeat cycle. Sometimes the second eating session is just 2-3 ounces of yogurt or applesauce or half an avocado but at least it's something.

He has only 6 teeth (15 months old)so he's not eating much texture either. He'll gum a piece of toast for 10 minutes then spit out a soggy mess. I'm hoping more teeth will help but I swear I've got the slowest teether in the world!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Cheese, full fat yogurt, red meats, butter, eggs. Also your breastmilk has fat in it. I would not worry about her not drinking cows milk.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

On the teeth front, you'd be surprised what they can manage. Abigail also had only four teeth at that age, and just got her first molars at 27 months. By then I was giving her everything but carrots. There are teeth under the gum, and toddlers can chew stuff up. Just offer little tiny bites, and I bet she'll figure it out quickly.

For the straw, I taught Abigail to use one by holding my finger over one end to trap the smoothie inside, then putting it in her mouth and letting go. After doing this a few times, she naturally started to suck on it, and that was that.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2