grapesoda Guest

Default Are you supposed to stop rice cereal at a certain age??

Madeline is 14 months old, and pretty much the only thing she'll eat for breakfast is rice cereal with bananas, which I mix with whole milk. (she's been a very picky eater) In the books I've read with sample menus for toddlers her age, they list things like scrambled eggs, bagel with cream cheese, and other things that she doesn't eat. SHe'll have a bite of eggs (covered in cheese, of course) and a bite of a pancake, but not enough to consider it a meal. None of these sample menus had rice cereal. Should I be pushing the other foods for breakfast, or are we ok with rice cereal still?

TIA,
    Jen
    Mommy to Madeline
    10/25/03

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Are you supposed to stop rice cereal at a certain age??

I would say if she likes it and still eats it there is no problem with continuing, especially if it is infant cereal fortified with iron. At some point she'll probably end up wanting to feed it to herself though, and that might get a little messy! DS stopped wanting cereals by a year old, otherwise I would have kept giving them to him.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

My DD is 13 months old and she has rice cereal with apples almost every morning.. She loves it! I still give her jars of veggies with dinner, she won't eat the real thing so I feel like as long as she's getting the nutrients it doesn't matter if it's still babyfood.

StaceyKim Guest

ds is 20 months and *still* eats baby oatmeal everyday with applesauce for breakfast. he loves it and it is good for him. he is a pretty picky eater so i happy that he likes this so much!

hth

DS is almost 17 months and still eats the baby cereal for breakfast. I figured why stop if he's still eating it. It's fortified with vitamins and easy to whip up in the morning.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

I could have written this post! My DD is 15 months old and I have been wondering the same thing. I can't remember what DS was eating for breakfast at this age.

I guess I'll keep on giving it to her and try other things in the hope that she'll eventually want them.

BTW, it is messy - DD likes to eat her own and I have to practically hose her down after breakfast every day. Yuck!

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're still giving baby cereal at a year. It's a good source of iron, so I'm planning to keep offering it.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

essnce629 Guest

My son is 16 months old and even though he eats pancakes, waffles, eggs, etc for breakfast, I still mix baby oatmeal cereal in his yogurt every morning and in his applesauce too. I've always mixed it into his yogurt and applesauce because it makes it thicker and stays on the spoon better-- which is good since he feeds himself now with a spoon :).

***Latia
    Conner 8/19/03
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif 16 months & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif