Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default (super) Oatmeal recommendations?

Kael loves his oatmeal in the mornings. Add half a banana and a handful of berries (blue-, straw-, and raspberries) and he's in heaven.

I've been giving him Quaker oats which is fine but I thought since he's done with his box, I'd try something different. Maybe something with more added vitamins and minerals.

Anyone have a favorite they'd like to share?

jlcana Guest

Default RE: (super) Oatmeal recommendations?

My son insists on oatmeal every morning and has for months now! He likes the Quaker instant in the Fruit & Cream flavors. Since he's not a big milk drinker, I make it with milk instead of water, add some powdered milk(dry) and a couple of spoons of plain quick oats. Add a fruit of choice and he's in heaven also.

Adding the milk really makes it taste creamy and I like my oatmeal this way too now.

Lisa
    Christopher 3/18/02
    Andrew 9/28/04

quikeye Guest

nak

id love a recipe for regular oatmeal-- any kind! i tried the dx on rhe can, terrible! i was raised on nstant microwave oats, so dont know how to make ANY!!

THANKS in advance!!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD and I eat Quaker Oats Maple Brown Suger instant oatmeal for breakfast every morning. It started out being just my breakfast until she decided that Yobaby wasn't her thing anymore. Now I also make English Muffins for me so I can share with her and still have enough to eat. I also make it with milk and then microwave it until it is real thick. After that she goes after DH's Quaker Oats Supreme whatever his flavor of the day is (made with water).

Since I was thinking of posting this anyhow, did anyone else have "issues" with DC not "working right" after starting on grown peoples oatmeal?
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

The three of us (DH, DS, and I) like the Quaker instant during the week, but I add two tablespoons of wheat germ to each serving before adding water/milk for a little extra nutritional kick.

We were at BJ's over the weekend and noticed that they now carry Kashi instant oatmeal, but we recently bought our huge box of Quaker so I didn't compare nutrients etc - I will when we are low on our current supply.

:) Kristin
    Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
    and Morgan the yellow lab

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I bought a box of Kashi and Kael seems to like it fine. Unfortunately, the only flavor they had was the Maple and Brown Sugar - too sweet for my taste. Do you know if Kashi comes in plain?

I use the 1-minute Quaker stuff and cook it over the stove to really get the flavor of the banana and berries out. Add milk, heavy cream and a dash of brown sugar and we're set to go!

I've tried wheat germ before with Kael but it seems make his, um, inner workings really runny. I'll try it again - hopefully it was an age thing and he's outgrown it.

Re: oatmeal and his inner workings - he's definitely regular. We were battling constipation issues and now he's going at most 4+ times a day (when he's being a good eater) to every other day (when he's Mr. Picky-pants). Good poops, peanutbuttery texture (hope no one was eating when reading that!).

I like the steel cut oats, I think the Red Mill makes a variety that you can get in the natural foods section of groceries. We used to get it at Fred Meyer, and now at our local coop. It takes a little more time to cook, but the texture is chewey and fabulous.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Abigail at this point likes just uncooked oats (I buy them organic at Whole Foods) soaked for a good while in whole milk. I throw in a bit of Stonyfield Farms yogurt, some cut-up apple, and sometimes stuff like flax seed meal or bran, and she gobbles it. It's incredibly healthy stuff, and it doesn't get much easier.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow, so the oats don't need to be cooked? Heck, I could do that for myself. I'll just have the nonfat yogurt and she can have the whole yogurt. :) I assume you get the flax seed meal or bran at Whole Foods as well?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

Judegirl Guest

Eileen,

You can get flax seed meal at most health food stores (our WF has them, I'm pretty sure) - but if you can't find the mean, flax seeds in the coffee grinder are even better, and almost as easy. Just use the grinds right away.

HTH,
    Jude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast