Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: OT Hijack: How old for straw cups?

We also started Susanna at about 6.5 months. She's never had a sippy to this point. She's now almost 8 months and will drink out of a regular cup if we hold it to her lips.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ah, that's why Kaya knew how to do it from the get go! I'll have to remember that with baby #2. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I started using straw cups when DD was 18 months old. But with my next child I plan to use straw cups exclusively and skip sippies altogther.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

nathansmom Guest

Nathan started straw cups at 6 months. He was always reaching for our cups so I tried one and he took to it right away.

Default RE: Are there any straw cups out there that are spillproof like sippy cups?

I have found the Playtex straw cups to be leak proof. If the lay on their side or even upside down they don't leak. If she holds it upside down and shakes it really hard, she can get liquid to come out of it.

I've tried the Luv N Care posted above (Nuby are the same) but found them really hard to drink out of. You have to suck really hard and Logan hands it to us and says "Broke. Help, please"
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used regular cups with her from 6 months on. She never used a sippy before she was nearly two, when spillproofness started to matter more away from home. I did teach her to use a straw cup starting at about fourteen months or so. I held my finger over a straw with some liquid in it, then dribbled it into her mouth. After doing this two or three times, she started to suck and that was that.

We prefer the playtex cups, too.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

Yep 7-8 mo here too, I did have to show her there was water in there by doing the hold a finger over the top of the straw to dribble water in her mouth though, she had no intrest in sippies either

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Are there any straw cups out there that are spillproof like sippy cups?

We started using straw cups at about 7 months, since DD never liked sippies or bottles. Here's what we've tried:

Playtex - They are easiest to wash and put back together, only 3 parts. They spill a little if DD drops her cup when the straw is open. When closed, they are pretty much leakproof. I've even carried 'em in my leather purse, that's how much I trust them. I wish I could find these in solid colors!

The Dora/Spongebob Munchkin cups have better threads, but I cannot put the dang things back together once I clean them. These somehow have backpressure that causes them to leak like crazy. A pain. These are going to Goodwill.

Take-n-toss - The straws fit the Playtex. Too leaky for us, but I think they'll be great for when she's less inclined to throw or drop cups.

Those Luv-n-care ones look neat, but they appear to have lots of parts....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2