Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Best way to pump/freeze/feed? Should I go with the Via system?

I am SO confused! I need advice from all you pumping experts!
    Let me explain my situation:

I work one day a week so I only pump/store 5 or 6 bottles for when I am away from Isabella that one day. While I am at work, I pump enough milk for the next week which means I have to freeze the milk.

So far, I have been pumping with my Ameda pump (no problems with it), transfering into bags which goes into freezer, then poured into Avent bottles to feed. There just seems to be so many steps and parts to clean. Is there an easier way to go about this? I know NOTHING about storing. I was at Target today and all the pumping stuff confused me (like sealing disks??). The Avent Via system looks great but it seems to get mixed reviews.

What is the best bet for my situation? I know I only pump 5 bottles a week but if I plan to nurse for 12+ months, I would like something easier. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Best way to pump/freeze/feed? Should I go with the Via system?

I used the Via system and wasn't thrilled. I continued to use it until I had used up all the containers, but then I switched back to pumping directly into the Avent bottles and freezing them that way.

I don't know about the Ameda pump, since I have a PIS, but with the PIS I was able to buy converters online (they are/were sold individually, so make sure to buy two) so I could pump directly into Avent bottles. I bought the sealing disks as well. The sealing disks basically fill the slot in the rings where the nipple goes so you have a complete seal on the bottle. That way, when you defrost the bottle all you have to do is remove the disk and pop in the nipple. Very easy, and less spillage and waste.

HTH-
    Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

quikeye Guest

I would TOTALLY recommend the pumpmate system. You use preformed liners that are very sturdy & freeze well, pumping right into bags and then using disposable bottles to feed with. I'm not certain about avent having disposable bottles, since we used playtex-- but you never have to pour nor seal bags with ziploc/twisties.

Whats great about pumpmate is you get a lid/seal for EACH bag of BM (60 liners, 60 caps) where I think w/ the via ytou only get a few caps. The pumpmate caps are also reusable! So, you can buy the cheaper playtex liners to pump in and use the pumpmate caps to seal the playtex liners with! I always used the PM liners when I froze, but if I was pumping for fresh milk, I'd pump into the cheaper plytex liners & cap w/ PM caps that I saved and washed. That way I only had to ever buy 4 disposable bottles (2-4 oz, 2-8 oz) since I could just store standing up in bags. The PM syatem also comes with a freezer holder which is convenient, but not necessary. I sometimes would just stand bags up in a coffee mug in the freezer to freeze,if the stand was full (often was when IW as trying to build a stash).

I also pumped very little (I was supposed to return to work but didn't, only pump for convenience now), but it is SO nice not having to pour/etc. It's actaully a GREAT thing for moms who pump little-- since you will never have to wash a bottle and you'll only be using a few liners a week, it's not cost prohibitative like it can be for moms who have to pump several times a day (the preformed liners being more expensive than the bag type). I brag to mommy friends I never washed a bottle :) Not in the traditional sense anyways!

If you want to stick with the Avent bottles, the easiest for you would be to pump directly into the bottles. (you'll need to buy two adapters for your pump to fit the bottles). Then you use sealing disks in place of the nipple in the lid and freeze directly in the bottles.

That will be so simple! And since you are only freezing a few bottles a week it won't be too expensive to buy that many, and it won't take up too much room in the freezer.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

To eliminate one step without buying a lot more parts, you can use disposible Avent bottles and then pop the bags in. I don't work, so I only pump for when I go out, so I just use the Isis pump. I do pour from the bottle into a Gerber bag. I freeze in the bag. Then, the bag fits over the disposible bottle for feeding. Not too bag, and cheap. You don't have to clean the bottle, since nothing touches it. You do need to clean the nipples and the bottle into which you pumped.
    Kris

Do I buy the adaptors from Avent? I looked on their website but didn't find anything. This does sound like the best solution for me and i don't have to buy another pump.

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

anyplace that sells breastfeeding supplies should have them.

I found a few searching on www.froogle.com

http://www.selfexpressions.com/avbrpucokit2.html

http://www.maternityandnursing.com/c...products_id=15
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

I think whomever is feedin the baby will like this method the best. Dh says the bags defrost much faster than the bottles an he is well trained not to defrost too much. :)

One more question- everyone says its easier to defrost in bags. I planned on thawing out the bottles by placing in the refrigerator the night before. Of course, they would always have frozen ones on hand in case they need more.
    Is this ok to do?

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

Thanks Karen- I think this is what I decided to do. I plan to order the adaptor today and save myself the $50 I would have spent on the Via system. Thanks for your help- I never knew I could use my pump with Avent bottles.

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast