Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    laurena Guest

Default RE: Anyone tried this? Expecta Lipil DHA supplement for pregnant/nursing moms...

I'm so with you in not trusting pharma companies' sales techniques! As others have said, flax seed and fish are great natural sources of DHA. Because I'm also no doubt vitamin D deficient as well (live in Chicago, don't eat dairy, and definitely not enough greens), I take a Cod Liver Oil supplement for that as well as DHA while I'm BF'ing. I know, I used to shudder and run as fast as I could to brush my teeth to get rid of the taste when my mother used to force this down our throats growing up, but the Carlson brand makes it with a lemon taste. It's not bad & not fishy at all, I swear! This brand also tests to ensure that it's free of detectable levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB's and 28 other contaminents (I took that off the back of the bottle). I bought it at Whole Foods, but I'm sure other health food stores carry it as well.

essnce629 Guest

Default RE: Anyone tried this? Expecta Lipil DHA supplement for pregnant/nursing moms...

I just take flax seed and fish oil and started adding wild salmon to my diet. I used to take flax seed oil capsules, but then just recently I read that you'd have to take 14 capsules a day to get the amount of omega-3s that are in one tablespoon of flax seed oil (the recommended amount). I've always read that flax seed is great for the skin, but I've always had mild acne so I guess the 2 capsules I was taking a day weren't enough, so I just switched to the oil and add a tablespoon a day to my morning fruit smoothie. I've only been doing it for 3 days now so I can't say anything about my skin yet. I also take "enteric coated" fish oil capsules, because the regular ones used to make me burp up fish all day long (yuck) and I started getting nauseas and throwing up randomly from taking them (I know it was from them because I did an elimination diet and my symptoms went away, but when I reintroduced them the nausea/vomiting started up again). I haven't had any burping/nausea/vomiting with the enteric coated ones. I definately wouldn't take anything put out by formula companies. They already get enough money and their supplement is probably a lot more expensive than just buying fish oil or flax seed oil.

***Latia
    Conner 8/19/03
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif 18 months & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just a warning -- supplements are definitely definitely not gold-standard now. The research is so preliminary that we honestly don't know the effects of taking "super-doses" of DHA, etc.

The enfamil supplement is made from recombinant bioengineered algae. That's not always a terrible thing -- I prescribe meds made from genetic engineering all the time -- but in this case where you aren't treating a disease process but trying to augment an already healthy person in an already superior healthy process (breastfeeding), I would choose the most natural process by which to do that. So, ideally, just eat more wild fish (if you can find some that are low in mercury), or alternatively take fish oil supplements.

Personally, I took a fish-oil supplement by Jarrow but infrequently -- maybe on average twice a week.

Given the choice between taking nothing and taking the enfamil product, honestly, I would choose nothing just to avoid putting more money in their pockets, and because I don't think it really makes enough of a difference to justify the worry, expense, and doubt that they create.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 20 months and count

entttc Guest

I'm a BF'ing, PG mom who eats no fish, and I haven't taken fish oil because of the burps/bad breath. I intend to take this product, but probably every other day instead of every day. I think it's a good thing for those of us who don't get enough in the diet and have high demand. Probably not necessary for those who do get it in their diets.

Chiming in late here but had to put my 2 cents in! ITA with the PP's who've said they are distrustful of anything put out by the formula co. To the PP who says that the formula co's aren't saying BM is inferior to formula I would definitely disagree. Some of you here know that I've been doing training in lactation education so I've been privvy to some of the initial marketing materials and other not-so-public info on this product. One marketing rep actually told a nurse that these supps are "so important to ensure that BF'd babies get as much DHA as is in formula"!!! I don't thing formula co's *think* BM is inferior - after all they spend millions trying to imitate it! I think that are trying to make *mothers* believe their milk is inferior and thus they *need* vitamin drops or DHA supplements, etc. Sad :(

I am currently taking Cod Liver Oil caps for DHA supplementation. These are a more complete form of Omega 3 (your body needs more than just the DHA that's in the supplement) and, as Shannon said, a natural rather than bioengineered product. If you take the cod liver oils caps at bedtime you avoid the bad breath/burp factor that can be common, especially when first taking them. I keep mine in the fridge and take them after brushing my teeth just before I lie down. Any fishy effects wear off at night. I do think it makes good sense to take Omega 3's while pg and BFing because we're supposed to watch our fish intake due to mercury pollution (fish oil supps are screened for pollutants and the reputable brands are certified free of mercury and other contaminants), but this is from a purely nutritional standpoint, NOT because BM is inherently inferior in DHA levels.

FWIW, there are other DHA supplements/omega 3 supplements that are not from animal sources so if your veg and wanting this product to avoid animal products, I would look at Whole Foods (etc) to find another good brand rather than letting the formula companies make money off of you! Besides, the other supplements are cheaper ;)
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

Elizasmom Guest

There is a pre-natal vitamin called "Primacare" that includes a fish oil capsule as well as a regular vitamin capsule (you take one of each daily). This is a great way to get DHA and possibly have it covered by insurance.

The first time I ever heard of the importance of DHA was when I read about it in a Dr. Sears book. We all know he is pro-breastfeeding. I can understand being turned off by Infamil making a DHA supplement, but it would be a shame if people rejected the idea of DHA supplementation because of it. It is clear that DHA is beneficial and studies have shown that the DHA content of breast milk varries based on the mother's diet. Why not make your BM the best it can be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2