Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default garlic appropriate for 1 year old?

Okay, I've been searching in Kelly Mom, Wholesomebabyfood, and AskDrSears, and I can't find the answer to this question. Is it okay for me to use garlic as a seasoning in DD's food? What about onions?

Thanks!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: garlic appropriate for 1 year old?

I sure hope so! Sorry, I don't have any links for you, but we've been using cooked garlic and onion in Sarah's food since she was about a year (maybe even younger). We found that once once we started seasoning her food, she liked it more. She still isn't a fan of raw onion, but enjoys small amounts of raw garlic in things (pesto, guacamole, salad dressings).

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Most stuff I've seen (I know I've seen it in Child of Mine, and I think I've seen it Dr. Sears as well) says basically that salt is the only seasoning you need to worry about -- herbs and spices otherwise are up to your baby to decide about.

pittsburghgirl Guest

James loves pasta sauce, which has both garlic and onions in it. No effects that I can tell. He doesn't like plain tomatoes so it must be the seasonings!

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

proggoddess Guest

DD really likes split pea soup, salsa, and Chinese stir fry. We give her little bits here and there off our plates. Although normally, we don't season her baby food at all. (Too much of a bother for us. :) )

If you look at some of the stage 2 baby food jars, you'll see some of them have garlic and onion powder in them.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Payton seems to do well with both... we've had hamburger stroganoff with him a couple times (both onions and garlic), and he gobbles it right up with no ill effects. He loves food that's seasoned better than just plain old bland stuff-- me, too!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

westchicagomom Guest

DH and I *love* garlic, so I searched high and low for information. The only thing I found was that if your child might be prone to allergies, wait until at least a year to offer it (the same w/ onions). I am ultra-conservative about food intros and we did garlic at one year and she loves it too! She will even eat the little roasted garlic chips plain. She is definitely our DD!

nitaghei Guest

Yes, I think so. DS was on regular table food at 1 year - Indian food, at that. So onions, garlic, spices - everything! He does have a food allergy - but it's eggs, and I don't think it's related in any way to having onions or garlic.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

Devinsmom Guest

Our Ds loves "seasoned" foods. Especially Italian meatballs and garlic bread! They have no ill effects on him.

I use garlic as seasoning all the time as well (fresh crushed garlic, though, not the powder type) and have not had any problems. I've been using it since DD was about 11 months or so. It made a big difference in getting her to eat a healthy vegetable soup.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast