Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mjord Guest

Default anyone else feel this way?

I really don't like breastfeeding. I never produced enough milk for the baby to feed well (the lactation consultant said he gets frustrated by not getting enough flow), so I'm exclusively pumping. But I hate the way it feels. It's not really pain, it's more this tingling sensation which feels like an electrical signal, similar to when I once had acupuncture and they put a slight electric signal to the needles. It also extends all the way to the pit of my stomach, maybe to the uterus (I've heard that BF somehow affects your uterus anyway.) Does anyone else feel that way? That sensation is kind of creepy and I just don't like it, and it's been three months and it hasn't lessened or gone away. I don't know how much longer I can put up with this. Anyone else have this?

Default RE: anyone else feel this way?

pumping isn't fun. i agree. i had to use the hospital grade pump when dylan was born because he couldn't latch so he had to be fed through an NG tube. (he couldn't suck/swallow at all due to his condition- not breast or bottles, so there was alternative). then i had some oversupply/forceful letdown issues that required me to do more pumping. it did kinda hurt cause i had to do it so much.

do you think your baby could try again? maybe if he latched on now that he is older he could get the milk out more efficiently? and he would tell your body to make more milk better than the pump. and i think it would be a lot more comfortable for you. maybe an LC could help you try it?

i was worried that i would be physically uncomfortable with breastfeeding because i kinda have a thing about being touched on my breasts. but i was delighted to discover that it is didn't bother me at all, and i enjoyed 14 months of nursing my older child and looked forward to nursing my younger child.

good luck!!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

mjord Guest

>do you think your baby could try again? maybe if he latched
    >on now that he is older he could get the milk out more
    >efficiently?

No, this isn't working, it's actually worse now that he is three months. He is so totally impatient with the small amount of milk I get that he will start squirming and pulling really hard after about 30 sec. The LC said it was damaging my breasts. Pumping is the only option but it's just so uncomfortable. i wish there was an easier way.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Have you ever tried a galactagogue (spelling?)? Something to increase supply? You probably have, but in case you haven't, Fenugreek, Brewer's Yeast, Calcium Phosphate 6x (homeopathy), oatmeal, etc. can help increase supply. Even if it isn't a huge amount, maybe it would help you both enjoy it more if your supply was boosted a bit?

Have you consulted with a 2nd LC by any chance? I'd probably want to run it by someone else to see if they had anything more helpful to say. Not all LCs are created equal IMHO ;) Is she a board-certified LC? Some people call themselves LCs and aren't board certified (IBCLC or something like that is the credential you'd want).

HTH.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The tingling sensation you are feeling is the letdown reflex. I felt it that way too. Some women feel nothing though, so everyone's experience is different. And when you breastfeed (or pump), your body produces oxytocin, which causes the uterus to contract. It really is very normal to feel those things, it means your body is working just like it is supposed to. :)

I would also second the suggestion to see another LC. I had to see 3 to find one that could really help me. To be honest, it sounds like she is giving you some poor advice. There are lots of ways to increase supply if that is the issue. Are you supplementing with formula also or exclusively pumping? If you are EP, then I really doubt you have a supply issue. It may be hard to get a 3 month old back to the breast, but not impossible with the help of a GOOD LC who is experienced with that sort of thing.

I would also recommend La Leche League as a terrific resource for ou. I was at a meeting today where there was a mom with a 2 month old and she was exclusively pumping. They are going to try and work with her to get the baby back to the breast.

Take care,

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

shannonG Guest

My son is 8 months old now and I'm beginning to feel like stopping breastfeeding. I too have felt uncomfortable with it but not because of a low milk supply. It must be frustrating for you. I've had terrible cramps the entire time I've been breastfeeding. I still haven't gotten my period...I know that many mommies don't get it while breastfeeding...but I wish I would!! I thought the cramping was only something that happened during the first couple of weeks after delivery! This is why I want to begin the weening process. Also, I get this really "creepy" feeling that feels almost like there is something inside my right leg and foot that is lightly tickling me while I'm breast feeding on the right breast. It's kind of a tingling feeling but more of a slight tickle! It is so freaky! I thought I'd respond because you had mentioned having a creepy feeling too. I'm sure yours is a result of oxytocin but mine has something to do with a nerve that gets stimulated at the nipple and travels down the leg. I had a foot doctor apt. today for something unrelated and I asked him about it. I guess it's normal! Good luck and hang in there!!!

mjord Guest

>Have you ever tried a galactagogue (spelling?)? >

Yes, I've been on domperidone for months now, helped a little but not much.

>Have you consulted with a 2nd LC by any chance? >

yes a total of three different ones.

mjord Guest

Good, I'm glad you know what I mean! Yes it's a tingling/tickle, but I get it all from my breasts to my stomach. It actually makes me nauseous and I can't eat for a while. The low milk supply isn't really the issue anyway, it's bad whether I'm BF or pumping, I still have that "creepy" feeling. I get mild cramps too, and I haven't gotten a period yet either. I don't care if it's from oxytocin or whatever, it's still very uncomfortable and it's really making me hate BFing. It really doesn't help to be told it's "normal" since even if it was, it doesn't make it any less comfortable. Pain when you get a root canal can be "normal" too, but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with. How do you manage to deal with yours?

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

i'm surprised that you've seen three lcs and none have suggested using a supplementer like the medela sns or the lact aid (www.lact-aid.com). it could prob help get your little one back to the breast.

i had low supply due to previous breast surgery and used the lact aid for about 9 months (until we were doing well with solids)

nak

~ deb
    DS 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

shannonG Guest

I actually tried doing a google search to see if there was any information about the symptoms I'm having but I couldn't find anything! I'm glad you potsted. I thought I was going crazy until I talked to the doctor today and then saw your post!

I think what bothers me the most is the cramping. It seriously feels like I have BAD pms. I don't remember it being this bad during the first couple months bfing. It's much worse now and has been for 2-3 months now. Same with the tickle feeling...now that I think about it...it wasn't as bad in the beginning either!

The tickle in my foot is just irritating and I don't think there's anything that can be done!! I'm not sure though. Luckily it only affects one side of my body when I breastfeed and it goes away when I stop feeding. I dread feeding on my left side though. I take tylenol for the cramps and just deal with the "creepy" feeling!!

Sorry I can't be more helpful! I'd go see your OB/GYN (if I were you)to get more information. Like I said before, I'm trying to wean my ds right now (although it's not really going very well) but if I was experiencing these symptoms when my ds was only 3 months old or so I would see someone about it. I'm satisfied with the amount of time I've breastfeed but if I had to stop earlier because of this I would have been really upset. I hope you start feeling better, I know what you're going through! Feel free to send me a message if you ever need to talk about it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast