Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Sarah1 Guest

Default RE: SIL is thinking of NOT breastfeeding this time

I completely agree with Rashmi. It's HER choice, HER life. It would be one thing if she asked for opinions about what she should do, but she isn't...I proudly BFed Audrey but I have to say, I really cannot stand the breastfeeding militia out there making moms feel bad for not BFing.

tinkerbell1217 Guest

Default RE: Where are all these bottle proppers?

I totally agree with you! Of all the relatives and families I have known in my adult life since having children I have NEVER seen anyone use a bottle propper. I am really skeptical of this stereotype also. It is nobody's business how anyone feeds their child unless the child does not thrive. Personally, I have not known anone with a FF baby be diagnosed with failure to thrive, whicle I do know 2 babies who were BF who were diagnosed with it. Not saying BF is always like that as FF is not always easier. There are 2 sides to every argument and in this particular argument we all know BF provides certain things formula can't. Even still, it doesn't mean those of us who FF are harming our babies or not giving them the best of what we have to offer. Or that we are lazy and unattached to our children.

That said, I FF my first two, BF the 3rd and am now bottle feeding with formula, and if I ever have another I will prob only BF for a few weeks. But, I would NEVER tell a mom she was potentially harming her child by choosing not to BF.

I've never seen one of those "bottle propping" products used, but when out shopping I have seen young babies who are sucking on bottles while in their stroller with a blanket bunched up to hold the bottle up.

I don't think that it is assumed that a lot of FF families bottleprop, it came up in this thread because it was mentioned that it is easier to FF when you have other children to tend to. One would assume that you have to stop what you're doing and hold the baby during a feeding session no matter how you choose to feed the baby (but Rashmi made some very good points about this). I think that's why it came up in this thread, not because everyone assumes all FFs prop bottles. I sure don't. All of my friends who used/use formula always held the baby while feeding them, so in my personal experience I would say it's not normal practice.

Lisa

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was responding to this line:

"However we've all seen those awful bottle-propping products and people do that."

I am fully aware that posters here are not trying to insult or defame formula users.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If there weren't bottle proppers out there (not saying they are the majority by any stretch), there would be no need for bottle-propping products, kwim? I think that is what was meant by the statement.

I do fairly regularly see babies at the mall with the bottle propped using a blanket in the stroller. I see it often enough to be annoyed by it. I see and know many FFing moms though who always hold their babes, and I'm thankful most people seem to know that babies need that contact. I've observed my neighbor two doors down prop her baby's bottle so she can have a cigarette outside while talking to my next door neighbor. Again, not common, but it happens. I've seen it.

Fortunately the moms on this BB tend to be well educated on parenting and care about their babies enough to hold them while bottle feeding, but there are moms out there who unfortunately do not.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I agree. This thread is disheartening. Research can be used in lots of ways but for the most part I feel it's a family decision and really none of our business how a family chooses to feed a child.

Since so many feel like taking the moral highground since they breastfed their babies, I'm going to add my experience. My DS was approximately 4 weeks early and small. I decided not to breastfeed for a slew of reasons - lack of support not being one of them. Most of my close friends bf their children. During the first year my DS had a few colds but his BF friends had many colds, reccurent ear infections and had to take antibiotics. My DS is almost 2 and this has never been the case. He is extremely healthy, happy, verbal and active. I would also say that my DS is far more attached to me than some of his BF friend happen to be with their moms. In fact, one of his little friends is beyond attached to his dad despite the fact that he is not weaned at this point. Can I attribute this to how he was fed?

It annoys me to no end when people feel a need to pass judgement on parenting choices. It is highly offensive when people make connections between formula feeding and carseat use or even abuse. If someone feels a need to pat themselves on the back for BF, it's just not neccessary.

Jenn
    DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

tinkerbell1217 Guest

Kudos to you! I totally agree! I DID BF my last baby for a little while and I found FF MUCH easier and conveneint for my situation. I mean, I am glad I tried and if I have another I will try again. But, I will not make myself or my family miserable to BF. What works for some may not work for others. It doesn't mean you are a bad parent if you choose not to BF.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When you see those babies at the mall with their bottles propped, how do you know it’s formula in those bottles and not expressed breast milk?
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

There are not even proppers available widely for sale. A quick google search generates only 1 commercial site...the rest is all references to bottle proppers, most of it rightly critical.

BRU and Baby Depot and the Right Start, all major baby stores near my home, do not even carry proppers.

The vast majority of parents do not use proppers yet, I hear much mention made of them in reference to formula feeding families. One nurse told me at a resource fair at BRU that I was staffing for my work (as I bottle fed my son) that MOST parents "prop the bottle and run". That is simply not true.

Bottle proppers are an anomaly, not a norm. So when talking about formula feeding families, we do well to not lump bottle-proppers in to the group as a norm.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Although I have seen it, I agree with you that most people do not bottle prop. Recently I came across this pillow that Target sells online. Doesn't it just look odd?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00024FTC8

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01/01
    & Alex 04/27/04

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast