Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aliceinwonderland Guest

Default PLEASE HELP ME: My baby won't drink water!!!!

I have been pretty relaxed about it, as I was nursing a lot until recently. But I think (without much basis) that on of the reasons he still gets up in th emiddle of the night (and refuses to go back down easily) is that he is thirsty...I'm trying to night-wean him...but DH (who is freakin' sabotaging me but I don't blame the poor sleep deprived soul) gave him water last night; Erik wouldn't take it. He then gave him formula (defeats my whole purpose,but anyway), Erik took it like NO tomorrow!!!

I ask sitter to offer water at each meal. He does wnat to cup (mainly to chew on I think), but whatever little water he takes it, he "rasberries" out. I'd like to avoid juice, but maybe a little dilution is in order?

I've tried a fissherprice cup, the Nubby, the Avent ones (tese I think are the worst because you actually have to suck for water to come out!!), the Avetn straw cup (little succes) and just a plain old grown up cup (he actually likes this cup, but NOT the drinking)

PLEASE help!!

Default RE: PLEASE HELP ME: My baby won't drink water!!!!

DD did not like water until just recently. The ped said at her 1 year appt. that I shouldn't worry. She'll drink if she's thristy. If Erik still BFs and eats solid foods with fluid content, like fresh fruit, he might not need extra water.

I'm not so sure Erik is only thirsty at night. He probably thinks he's hungry since he is used to a meal at that time and he's going to resist the offer of water. You and DH are both sleep deprived but if your DH just gives formula, as you realize, nightweaning is not really happening. You can try giving diluted formula. Keep diluting until it's just water. That's what some parents with formula fed babies do when they try to eliminate the night feeding. At some point, the baby is supposed to realize they are not getting their usual meal and stop waking up.

But I don't have any actual experience at this because when I was ready to nightwean, DD beat me to it and just dropped that one last nursing. Good luck.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with Wen. Dilute either BM or formula until it's just water and he'll eventually give up on it. I didn't nightwean DD exactly. I just noticed that she would sometimes sleep through the night, so at that point, we started giving her a sippy of my EBM after her normal nursing session (I was having supply issues) and she started doing it more often. If she woke up in the middle of the night, DH would get up and give her a sippy of milk (so my breasts could get used not not producing at night). Eventually, she just gave it up on her own. But if I had had to night wean her, I would have had DH water down the EBM until it was eventually just water.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif
    12.5 months: 30", 19.7 lbs, 47 cm head

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think the other posters already have good suggestions about night weaning. I did not really night wean DS since he already slept through the night by the time we started weaning.

About the water though, DS did not want to drink water either. What I did was to put do 50% juice, and then down to 25% juice, and now just to "spike" the water if I want him to drink more. The straw cup (Playtex) was what he took to first, but I think the Nuby is also pretty good.

Good luck.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

aliceinwonderland Guest

Default Eileen, what sippy did you use??

I can't find a good one...THANK YOU so much!

Default RE: Eileen, what sippy did you use??

Eri, we use the take 'n toss 4 oz sippies. I tried the avent with and without the valve, but she just didn't like it. I think the bright colors, size, and feel (plus the ability to see the liquid through the cup?) of the tnt sippies just worked for her. She was able to play with it and hold it fairly easily. Yes, she often put it in her mouth backwards, but it gave her a chance to explore it.

Eileen

aliceinwonderland Guest

Thanks--are these Avent ones?? Not sure if there's more than one kind of "take and toss"... Lost in sippy world, LOL!

Not Eileen, but I think she's talking about the First Years Take and Toss Sippy cups (they also have take n toss straw cups, spoons, snack cups, etc.)

Caroline
    Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

Yup. I did mean the First Year's Take n Toss Sippy cups. You can get them at drugstore.com, toys 'r us, target, babies 'r us, and I think even walmart. Kaya also loves the take 'n toss straw cups, and prefers those during meal times. I hope I didn't psychologically block her from those today, though, LOL. I gave her pedialyte (nonfavored) via the straw cups today and she decided after a few sips she didn't want any more. So I dumped the rest and refilled with water, but she kept pushing it away. She grabbed her peri bottle instead and handed it to me to give her water. A couple hours later, when DH tried giving her water with the straw cup she wouldn't take it, but she would take it from the peri bottle. Gotta love these smart kids! :)

ETA: and yes, we also use the TnT bowls with covers (great for when you're out and about or if I want to give her a bowl or plate (the cover) to play with when she's eating), the TnT spoons, etc.

Eileen

You know, I read somewhere that BF babies don't drink well with sippy cups. Something about the action their mouth has to perform. You might try giving the liquids with a straw. The TnT ones are awesome and pretty spill-proof. There are other ones too, but to start off teaching any straw would do.

My DD didn't figure out how to do the sippy cup until after I taught her to suck the straw. It took only a couple of minutes and she had it down and is a pro now. Now she can do either.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast