amazz Guest

Default Nervous about DD starting solids (long)

I know that this is totally *my* problem and not Kami's and I need to get over it before we start solids in a couple weeks (Is it even possible she is turning 6 months old in 14 days?!!!) so that my issues don't become her issues. But I have to admit that I am starting to freak out more and more as the time gets closer. I have read so much (possibly too much) about the things that can go wrong and how difficult it can be and so on and so forth. I guess I'm scared that I'm going to do something wrong and mess up my baby! Another part of this anxiety is probably due to the fact that I feel like she is growing up too fast. I'm not trying to brag when I say this, but she is ahead of the other babies I know IRL that are her age or older and, selfishly, I don't want her to be!!! I want her to stay a baby longer than she has been in many respects and starting solids is just another reminder that she is not slowing down at all. :)

OTOH, I love watching her discover new things. Part of me, albeit a small part, looks at this as an adventure. I smile just thinking of the faces she is going to make when she likes something and those she will make when she DOES NOT like something. :) She already holds her sippy cup by herself so I'm sure that self-feeding will be in our very near future LOL. ;)

I'm also confused on making her food and which foods to start with. I understand the concerns with starting with cereal (and store bought cereal on top of that), but it's what my pedi recommends starting with and I really do trust her. I know that when I talk to her she will be very understanding and may just tell me to go with my gut on what to feed her first. So here are some questions for you mamas you have BTDT: What's the deal with carrots? I have read conflicting advice about these so just wondering if they are safe to fix myself or do I need to buy these jarred? And I don't have a bm stash so is using cooking liquid or tap water ok when I start pureed foods? Should I use formula instead (for adding to foods, not to replace bfing)? How many bowls and spoons will I need? And what kind should I get? And lastly, can someone come hold my hand and tell me this will all be ok?!

FWIW I have Super Baby Foods, have read kellymom and askdr.sears and the other website many on here have recommended (it's bookmarked on the other computer), and I have read many, many posts on here about starting solids. So I'm not completely uneducated about it, just nervous. :)

Thanks for getting this far and any advice or words of reassurance will be greatly appreciated.
    Angela
    Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/love/luvlove.gif[/IMG]
    A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

Default RE: Nervous about DD starting solids (long)

Wow, I could have totally written your post! Your baby is only 8 days older than mine and I am totally overwhelmed too! I had a little sad moment yesterday when I was watching her play with her sippy. It was like, I can't believe my baby already has a cup! And the idea of starting food in the next few weeks has me quite freaked out, in spite of my vast research =)

Anyway, I have no advise for you, just wanted to say that I totally understand and I am right there with you! You have great questions, I can't wait to see what other people say.

Chrystine

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

As the queen of over-researching, overthinking mamas, I hear ya! LOL! :) But I think the way to make it easier is just to go slowly. Remember that there is absolutely no rush to get through foods by a certain time.

If you try soluds and she doesn't like them or they don't agree with her, then stop and wait awhile. I would spend a long time with whatever your "first" food is. Experiment with the texture. Start thin and gradually make it thicker. I spent a whole MONTH on cereal before moving on to anything else.

So no hurries, no worries. And really, its kind of fun. If your kid is ready for solids, feeding them should be a joy, not a task. And if they are not ready, it should be pretty apparent pretty soon.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

My DS has now been eating food for about 6 weeks and I can't tell you how much fun it is! So relax and look forward to the fun and mess! He loves eating and seems to be up for trying lots of new things- only refused avocado (how could he be my child?! and just tonight hamburger- I tried several ways and he made it very clear I was to cease and desist) It is so fun to take on this new phase.

My little guy is almost entirely breastfed but I dont really have a stash and find that it would be a pain to have small bits of EBM on hand for mixing so I just use formula. I am still nursing him for every liquid feeding so the formula is just more nutrients than water would be.

I highly recommed getting a stash of cheap baby washcloths to use as wipe up. the first few months are messy! and I just use and toss them in the wash.

Take lots of pictures and enjoy!
    Good luck!
    Betsy

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Rest easy, mama! If your baby is showing all the signs of readiness for solid foods (check out www.kellymom.com if you're not sure), she should do just fine. Most problems with solids happen when people start them by the clock, rather than by watching the baby for readiness. Like Beth said, there's no reason at all to hurry through introducing foods. They're just for fun and practice at this point.

As for what to start with, there are lots of choices. Many people choose cereal. I did, too, but won't bother with my next baby. Other good choices for first foods are avocado, sweet potatoes, and applesauce. Rice and bananas tend to be constipating; pears, peaches, peas, etc. tend to do the opposite. Don't worry about starting your baby out with a sweet tooth-- breastmilk is very sweet, and your baby came to the planet predisposed to like sweets. I started with mainly sweet foods because of that, and now have a two year old who loves veggies. :)

You'll be fine, and so will Kami!

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    New baby coming in October!

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

COElizabeth Guest

Angela,

It will be okay! I understand your feelings. I can't believe my baby will be starting solids in another couple of months, most likely.

I think carrots are one of the vegetables that have a high level of nitrites in some parts of the country, so I always bought them jarred for DS.

As far as equipment, you can buy baby spoons in a pack of 8 or 10, and I would get one or two packs. At first you will be feeding solids only once a day, so you can get by with only one bowl, but you will eventually want several unbreakable bowls. Divided plates are great for the older baby/toddler who wants to keep everything separate (e.g. peas must not touch peaches!). Any kind is fine, but dishwasher and microwave-safe dishes will make your life easier if you have those appliances.

The other book I would really recommend reading is Ellyn Satter's Child of Mine: Feeding Your Child with Love and Good Sense. I don't agree with 100% of what she says, but I love her basic principle, which is that the parent decides what food to offer and when, and the baby/child decides what to eat and how much. It takes away a great deal of the stress and helps prevent mealtime from becoming a battle. I know it's hard to think of it being a battle when you are used to happily nursing your baby, but down the road it can become very frustrating to prepare a nutritious meal, only to see your baby reject every single thing! Taking that principle to heart will really help you stay calm and relaxed about the whole thing, and that in turn will help your child develop healthy eating habits.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    and Charlotte, 11-04-04

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Angela,
    You're going to do fine! Like everyone said, watch your baby and take your time and it will all come together! Even if you do encounter troubles with feeding (which is unlikely!) know that it's very difficult to mess up a baby on a permanent basis! :) (I know because I had little mess ups in the feeding department with both kids and have recovered from all of them. :) )

About using formual to mix foods- if Kami already drinks some formula, I think that's a good idea. If not, you might want to try water. Neither of my kids liked the taste of formula initially and it tended to make their early eating experiences less enjoyable when I mixed it with their food.

I have about a half dozen bowls and twice as many spoons.

I used jarred carrots because I'd read about the nitrates issue.

First food with both my kids was pears. (I *wanted* it to be rice cereal but neither of them liked it. I made the mistake of sneaking some into Claire's pears a few days later and it plugged her up a bit. I should have listened to all the folks around here who've talked about how it can be constipating....)

I'm another Ellyn Satter fan. I love her philosophy about feeding children. (She's also fond of starting with rice cereal, but it looks like she and I are going to part ways on that one!) Here's her website.[http://www.ellynsatter.com/Pages/RelatedLinks.htm] If you click on the Chapter 2 download, you can get a sense of her philosophy. I always found it calming to read her book because it reminded me my children will eat the way that they need to if I simply step back and allow it to happen.

I stressed out a ton about feeding the first time around, but we survived and you will too! Good luck!

pritchettzoo Guest

You'll be fine! I cried the first time ("She doesn't need me any more!"), so you're not alone in your craziness. ;)

Pediatricians recommend cereal because it's readily available and usually non-allergenic. And EASY. And pretty hard to screw up. Some people freak at the thought of making baby food. We sliced open the avocado, scooped it out, and mashed it. Watered it down with some BM, and that was it. No harder than making cereal IMO.

I wouldn't worry about adding formula. Your baby will eat a tablespoon or two of solids at first. Seriously not worth worrying about whether it was made with BM, formula, or water. If you have a pump, you can squirt out an ounce and have enough to last a couple days if you don't want to use water. Solids are for practice--not really getting any nutrition, so try not to worry. Definitely don't waste money buying formula (if you don't already have it).

Nitrates--buy organic. Here's an article: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm

Being a parent is scary, isn't it? You have to make so many decisions that impact this tiny person's life. It's really rather overwhelming sometimes. :)

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and a BOY! (coming July '05)