Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would you let your DC eat food that fell to the ground?

I never though much about it until couple days ago. DS was eating a bagel at the playground and it fell to the ground. He picked it up and continued eating. One of my friends commented on it being not acceptable (after DS tried to 'share' the bagel with her DS) for consumption. In particular she was concerned about sand getting into digestive tract and bacteria. My response "what does not kill him makes him stronger' seemed to shock this lady, made me feel like a bad mom :(.

After asking other moms around about how they felt about their DC eating 'off the floor/ground' it seems that most won't let it happen. I think I read somewhere that as long as the ground is not wet and there are no dog/cat feces it's OK. Seems like I am the only one. What do you think?

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Would you let your DC eat food that fell to the ground?

If you're letting your DC eat at the playground, after playing on the equipment and on the ground, and without washing his hands first, food falling on the ground that isn't visibly contaminated is no different from food touching the child's hands.

And reasonable exposure to germs (like this) builds the immune system. No big deal, IMO.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I voted "Yes", but of course it is within reason. I agree with the strong immune system thing. I'm glad you posted this because I hate feeling like a "bad mom" by myself. :)
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I do agree that as long as the ground is not wet and there are no feces around, that it'll just build up her immune system. When she's at home, it's the same thing (we have 4 indoor cats). I know my mom would be horrified, but when Kaya trails her oatios around the house (snack trap) or other people's houses or the church day care, etc., I'll pick them up and just put them back in the snack trap, or I'll stuff them in her mouth. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!
    Last edited by mudder17; 02-21-2009 at 11:16 PM.

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I voted "depends on where it happened," but I also think it "depends on the food" as well. I consider myself a very laid-back parent, but sometimes you just cut your losses, KWIM?

For instance, DH, Ellie, and I were at a playground a couple of weeks ago (right next to the Central Market in Austin, which is an upscale, "Whole Foods"-type place with a restaurant). Ellie was playing on the equipment along with a bunch of other kids (including Lydia's (babymama) DS, Santiago--what a cutie!) as their parents were supervising. One mother was trying to feed her child some strawberries and the whole bowl of strawberries got knocked over and fell into the mulch/sand. I then overheard the conversation in which the woman decided to go inside to the restroom and wash the strawberries (already hulled) and offer them again. Eeeewww! I think at that point one needs to spend the 3 bucks to get more strawberries. JMHO.

Like I said, I think it depends on the food and the place. If the food had dropped on a kitchen floor at home, no big deal. And a bagel dropping on the ground at the playground is quite different from a strawberry hitting the ground.

Gee, I just wrote a treatise on this subject--who knew I had such a strong opinion ;)?

Actually, I have to admit agree with you. If there are obvious pieces of dirt, hair, etc., stuck to the food, I just toss it. That said, food that gets dropped at home or in daycare tends to get different treatment from food dropped outside in the dirt. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya

That's so funny, Eileen, b/c I was going to write how much I agree with you! Goldfish, Cheerios, and raisins that drop on the floor at our house (throughout the day) are fair game, LOL!

Oh, and BTW, go Illini :)!

Yes, I guess it's one of those "wet" vs. "dry" food things. :)

Woohoo on the Illini! I was going to post in the lounge, but I didn't think anyone except a few of us would care. ;-)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya

nwaddellr Guest

But if it was a strawberry that hit the ground and could be washed off without wrecking the food I'd go for it in a second. Now, a bagel with cream cheese that fell and picked up stuff and couldn't be washed off would be more likely to be tossed, but you washed the strawberries before attempting to eat them the first time, what's so different about washing them again?

As I said in my previous post, I guess at that point I'd just spend the 3 bucks. I'd rather do this than collect the strawberries, take them to the restroom, rinse them until no signs of mulch/sand were visible (they were already hulled), and then serve them again (I should have stated previously that said fruit was purchased in the cafe at Central Market in a little bowl). I don't like to work that hard, LOL.

I've thought about this way too much already :).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast