Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: "2nd babies won't take bottles" -- crazy?

Hmmmm, sounds like a bunch of you-know-what to me but that being said....

Riley won't take a bottle either. It's strange because we never had challenges with the occasional bottle with Ryan. We have been trying to give Riley a bottle for about 3 weeks now and she won't have any of it. DH has tried every position, walks around with her, dark room and light room, morning and night but no luck. She took one in her first 2 weeks of life (because of my thrush probs and the pain) but not now. Perhaps we missed the "window" of opportunity with all of her sickness going on and the hospital stay but I never thought it would be this hard since she had taken a bottle early on. Who knows?

Intersting theory on second babies, but I still think it is just that - a theory.

Mom to R and R

mharling Guest

What she said. :) Purely anecdotal, but Faye won't take one right now either.

Mary
    Lane - April 2003
    Faye - March 2005
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sounds like hooey to me - but I haven't even tried to give Jack a bottle yet and he is 6.5 weeks. I may regret it, but just cannot see myself being diligent about doing it daily or even every other day right now so why bother at all. If there is anything at all to it though, I'd think the sling thing would counter it since baby is still getting lots of snuggle time with mom.

Holly
    Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

You know, my initial thought was that's a bunch of you-know-what too. But after reading Karen, Debbi and Mary's responses, there is a little bit of truth hidden in there. I had trouble giving Sophie a bottle too! For me, I knew we just never really tried it very often early on. It was just way easier for me to nurse than for someone else to give a bottle. There was also less of that first time mom "is the baby eating enough" anxiety, so less desire to just give a few more ounces with a bottle. By the time I had some expressed breast milk stored up to give via bottle, she was very used to the breast. When we first started, I had to leave the room when Sophie got the bottle or it would be no go -- all the stuff I had heard about but never experienced with Chloe.

I think your ped has a point, but it kind of rubs the wrong way to state it like an absolute like that. Interesting to hear what you all have experienced!

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Yeah! We made it a year!

I'm like the other posters: bottles are a no-go with my second child, but I don't think your doctor's statements ring true. I don't think birth order is the issue; rather, I believe that my daughter refuses a bottle because she never got used to taking one. She had one a few times in her first 5 weeks, then none for many weeks because I was so busy. Then when I tried to bring her back to it, she refused it repeatedly, took it twice (not in a row), and then solidy refused it again.

I would like my daughter to take a bottle because it buys me freedom for being gone at a feeding. For example, I had to bring her on our home inspection for a new house purchase because no one else can feed her. My husband and I sorely need a night out - it's either that or martial counseling, I think! - but no babysitter can feed her right now.

This is by no means to say that you or anyone else should give a bottle if you don't want to. I just know very clearly why I would like to give one on occasion.

Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

But you can't bring a baby to marital counseling either!
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, I have never heard that. Charlotte is a first baby and won't really take a bottle. She plays with it and chews on the nipple. We did wait longer than 4-6 weeks to introduce it, but we were still getting used to breastfeeding and didn't want to screw that up. The pediatrician told me lots of people would say we waited too long, but she said that was baloney and some babies just won't take the bottle. Did I mention how much I liked this pediatrician?

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

To be honest, if you have no reason/desire to give a bottle, I'd be annoyed w/ the ped's statement. I'd probably tell him that I'm just fine w/ DC not taking a bottle!

FWIW DS is my first and never took a bottle. We too tried halfheartedly a few times, and tried tricks like me leaving the room, different nipples, etc, etc. but no dice ;) He actually used to try to slap it out of DH's hand when he'd try to feed him...and that was at like 6 or 8 weeks. I never missed him not taking a bottle though...I just though I *should* try for some reason. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have bothered ;)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think that's just bad advice. If it is important to you that she take a bottle that's up to you. If it doesn't really matter to you if she takes a bottle then it seems like her advice would serve nothing other than taking some of the convience and benefits out fo ebf. Can you imagine pumping enough to do a bottle a day + washing them and all? WHy bother? If you want her to take one I'd say one a week should cut it. Otherwise chalk it up to unsolicited, unwise paretning advice. The second child thing is just strange. I think she meant that seconds kids don't get as much attention and will use it as a way to get held? I am thinking she did not bf herself. Just a guess.

Eden 9/04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2