Default When is it recommended to sterilize bottles before baby is born?

Okay, so I must be "nesting" because I finally got the urge to start washing some baby clothes essentials & the crib sheets today in preparation for DDs arrival (due in 4 weeks, but have had some PTL which my OB has mentions could mean she could arrive any day).

So, in my frezy of preparation, I'm wondering when it's safe to sterilize bottles? I'm planning on BF almost exclusively, with the exception of DH feeding her on occasion, so I do have a pump & small supply of bottles to try out.

Once you sterilize, is it only good for a couple days? What if I boil the bottles now (for a good nitty-gritty sterilizing & then when DD comes home from hospital, run them thru the hot wash cycle in the dishwasher? I just want to get the boiling part out of the way, but I don't want to do it too early in case it "loses it's effectiveness" and has to be done all over again.

Thanks for any help & input!
    Suz

Default RE: When is it recommended to sterilize bottles before baby is born?

Unless you are sealing them in the special envelopes and sterilizing in an autoclave, they are no longer "sterile" the minute they come out of the hot water.

the reason to sterilize them once in the beginning is to remove anything they might have come in contact with at the factory where they were made. You can do that anytime after you buy them. Running them through the dishwasher before you use them would be good, if you aren't using them right after you boil them, just to take care of anything that might have settled on them afterwards. At my house that would be cat and dog hair, or at least I imagined that everything baby was a magnet for every single hair the pets shed. :)

But don't open too many packages, you don't know what type of bottle your baby will be willing to take until you try. So make sure you can return them.

...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you plan on BFing, I wouldn't worry about it. I found, with DS, having formula and bottles too readily and easily-available to me was not a good thing at all. It's too tempting in the middle of the night.

http://lilypie.com/baby4/011106/1/2/0/+10/.png[/url]

Expecting #2 - A Girl!
    http://lilypie.com/days/050904/0/24/0/-8/.png[/url]

Hi Suz,
    Our pedi told us not to sterilize the bottles at all, since it's not necessary (and a lot of work)! Just hot water and soap (or dishwasher) is enough. I agree with PP not to do it too far in advance, because of two things 1) they will get "dirty" eventually - with dust in the air, etc., and 2) DO NOT open too many packages - since DD hated bottles, we had to try lots of different ones, etc. So, if you want ot wash some bottles, open one bottle package and wash only that one. And save receipts of the others! :)
    I hope your baby comes when she's ready and healthy! :) For some reason, reading your post makes me so excited for your baby!! Yay!
    Caroline

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had the avent microwave sterilizer and really liked it. I think that BRU is carring their own brand. I hand washed or put them in the dishwasher then sterilized them. I also did his binkies every few days. I think I stopped when he was about 6months then just put them in the dishwasher with extra hot rinse. In reality I would wash them and IF you need one then sterilize them. I remember nesting and you could alway "practice" once!

cartersmom Guest

Our pediatrician also recommended not sterilizing the bottles as exposure to some germs is good for the baby's developing immune system. Of course, I disregarded his advise and still continued to sterilize them since it made me feel better!

The best way to sterilize them is hand rinsing and then putting them in the dishwasher with the hot water setting. Boiling tends to make them develop a calcium buildup and gives them a dirty appearance.