knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default ARgh. Dr. Brown's bottles are always leaking...

Does this happen to other people? Any tricks of the trade? For instance, I often give the DCP an 8 oz. bottle filled with 4 or 5 oz of EBM. Well, it still leaks! I am very frustrated with all of my precious BM leaking everywhere. Any suggestions?
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

Default RE: ARgh. Dr. Brown's bottles are always leaking...

I have had this problem too, and though I don't know the ultimate solution, I have better luck if I make sure the nipple/ring isn't twisted on too tight. I also try to make sure when I hold the bottle that I tilt it up so that no liquid gets into the tube at the bottom. My DS loves to grab the nipple and squeeze it, and the bottle will always leak if he does that! Hopefully others can help. I usually don't have any leaks if I make sure of all of the above.

My friend uses Dr. Brown bottles and she showed me a disc she puts between the bottle and the collar with the nipple. So right before she feeds, she has to unscrew the collar to take out the disc. I don't use these bottles so I don't know what the disc is for, but that's what she does because they used to leak all over her bag, too. HTH

We use Dr. Brown's wideneck bottles as well and have occasionally had leaks while feeding (I am assuming you are talking about leaks during feedings). Dh showed me that if there is milk in the "straw" valve when you tip the bottle up then it will usually leak. You need to tip the bottle up enough so that the valve is not sitting in the milk. I know you said you are only putting 4-5oz in the bottles and still getting leaks, so I am not sure that is what is causing your problems, though. I also found that screwing the rings on too tightly would cause the nipple to shift a little under the ring allowing some milk to leak out.

The disks mentioned above are travel disks and without them, the widenecks will leak all over the bottle pockets on my Little Tripper if I lean over to pick something up or if my bag tips over. They are kind of a pain to use, and now that DS is almost 7 months old, I figured I might be able to switch him back to Avent bottles and not have spit up issues. Well, I was dead wrong! We tried Avents for 3 days and it was a disaster. I have to say that Dr. B's really do work!
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

jennifer13 Guest

As a pp said, if milk gets in the little straw thing, it can leak. just unscrew the collar and little then tighten it again and it lets the milk/air out, but don't overtighten. HTH
    Jennifer
    Mom to Norah 5/23/03
    and Leah 3/24/05