Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: WWYD: ditch the doc or stay for continuity? push for a quicker appt?

I would say that you need to find a new doc, and quickly. You've gotten some great suggestions for practices to investigate. One of the main reasons I chose our pedi over the one my OB recommended is that he is more available. We have a preemie with weight issues and I wanted to make sure that we could see him whenever we needed him. The only time we have ever seen an different doc (and ironically, it was the one my OB recommended), was on a Sunday night when I called because he was so congested and miserable.

I'm disgusted to hear that no one would help you because they were on a break. Something similar happened to me at my OB's office 2 years ago after my daughter had died at birth. My doc told me to come in to give a urine sample because we thought I had a UTI and when I got to the office (1 day after I got out of the hospital after an emergency c-section, mind you), the nurses wouldn't test the sample because they were on a break. I was in tears by then when my doc walked in and was furious at the staff. He tested it himself, saw blood in the urine and gave me a scrip right there. He solved the problem and that never happened again. I recently followed him when he moved practices and is now affiliated with a different hospital because of his excellent care.

There is a breastfeeding supply store near my home that allows you to come in and weigh your baby on a high quality baby scale. The woman who owns it is an LC. Is there anything like that in your area? Perhaps that would at least help you to monitor your baby's weight while you are searching for a new pedi.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: WWYD: ditch the doc or stay for continuity? push for a quicker appt?

I agree with the others.

1. Get a pediatrician visit scheduled with another practice right away. Yay for the recommendations you got here. Explain when scheduing that your daughter is losing weight and has not had a weight check in however long. Ask for the earliest available appointment.

2. I think it's OK to see more than one doc to get an appointment right away, but you should see your regular doc for well checks.

3. Get to the pediatrician's office EARLY -- at least 15 minutes for your first visit, and at least 10 minutes thereafter.

You should have no problems finding a doc that has time for your child.

Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

pak ....wow,that sounds awful. we (unforunately) are usually at least 5 mins late or more to appts but we always get seen!! maybe a longer wait but we always get seen. they sound very uncooperative. i wouldn't let continuity be the deciding factor here. is there some other reason for stsying with them, like you love the actual peds themselves? someone more supportive maybe better in the long run for everyone involved and the sooner you find someone better......is there another doctor you've considered?
    i would recommend switching.... just my honest opinion.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wanted to second this, without the bias. I'm an internist, so I share adult patients with family doctors. They are generally great at serving as your "home base" for your whole family. But in your daughter's case, I would go to a pediatrician. A family practice residency lasts three years and covers kids, adults, and Ob-Gyn. A pediatrics residency is three years and focuses only on kids. The peds just have more experience in complicated cases.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

An alternative to a baby scale is a doctor that will let you come in anytime and weigh your baby! Our ped says I can stop anytime I want to check DD's weight, and this applies to any patient.

The fact that they would not let you go weigh your baby is utter crap! Ask friends for recommendations and start going to a new doc. I remember your post about your baby's growth, and I was concerned for her.

I agree with the pp's that you should find a ped. Fast.

Please let us know when you do. I, too, have been thinking about your baby. I hope you're holding up well too. I can imagine how stressed you must be.

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Default update... pretty good news

Thanks all for your concern. It has helped reassure, support, and push me all at once. I have pretty good news to report; I took DD back to her same old family practice clinic for a weight check today, and she has gained 14 ounces since her last visit 21 days ago. I then spoke to the triage nurse, explained the situation, and she ended up arranging an appointment in two weeks with one of DD's existing doctors.

Meanwhile, I have gotten several recommendations for pediatricians, including some from a local pediatrician who is a breastfeeding expert. He was willing to take us as patients himself, but he practices alone in a somewhat unorthodox practice and I am not up for any more experimenting.

I called the new practice that he recommended (and many others recommended) for an appointment in July, when the doctor I want will be back from maternity leave. Since DD2 has gained and I do have an appointment with one of her existing doctors before then, I think I am ok with waiting until July to switch.

I will keep you all posted.

Oh, the hospital lactation center doesn't have baby scales, but there may be some other options, including a scale at the post office that is available 24/7 in a self-service area!
    Last edited by american_mama; 09-13-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It sounds like they aren't doing a good job w/ dd and they don't have her best interests at heart. I would change.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

Default RE: update... pretty good news

I had a friend that used to take her kiddo to Whole Foods and weigh her in the produce scales!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: update... pretty good news

Ask your new pediatrician - ours will let us come in any time and use one of the empty waiting rooms to weigh DD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast