Thread: "Dry nursing" ?

Elilly is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default "Dry nursing" ?

It has been almost 4 months since DS has nursed for nutritional reasons. We had to wean for his health issues (long story). So, the other night, we woke up at 2 am and I went in to comfort him. When picking him up, somehow his head was under my pj top. Well, needles to say, he picked right up where we left off 4 months ago. There is no BM to speak of, but he fell back asleep within moments. Fast forward to last night, same pj top, same experience. What is going on! I am not offering to "dry nurse" as I do not want to confuse him. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do?
    DD 02
    DS 04

Default RE: "Dry nursing" ?

I have not had that happen, but my first thought is that you might want to give a pacifier. And get different pajamas. :)

Babies have a need to suck beyond what they need to eat. A pacifer may help soothe him.

He probably did get some milk. Many women can still express milk even years after weaning. It's only been 4 months, so your breasts would certainly "remember" how to make milk on demand.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

jlcana Guest

Express milk years after weaning?? I thought I was strange that I still had milk 7 months after DS 1 was weaned(BF 14 months). I had a 7 month "break" until next pregnancy. I'm still BFing DS 2 at 8 months, plan on at least a year. Let's see, I've basically had milk since 3/02 and could have for years??

:)

Lisa
    Christopher 3/18/02
    Andrew 9/28/04

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If the reasons for weaning are no longer an issue or if you don't think you are producing any/much milk that would make it an issue AND if you don't have any problem with dry nursing, you don't have to stop it. I've heard of several adoptive moms who have "nursed" even with no milk production, either by giving formula through a supplemental device at the breast or just true dry nursing for comfort. It's also very common for children who weaned at an older age to try again months later, out of curiosity or for comfort. So, not out of the ordinary.

Otherwise, I would switch PJ tops, consider a pacifier, and do more skin-to-skin time for him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 23 months & countin