Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Update- saw pediatrician, now she thinks it is NOT thrush- so frustrated

Unfortunately it took longer than I thought. From the day I stopped dairy to the day her poops started transitioning to regular BF poops was probably about 1 1/2 weeks and by the end of the second week they looked very much like how they should have. From what I read it takes a while for your body to get rid of the dairy protiens and then also the baby. And there were times where we had minor setbacks and I had to think about what I could have eaten to cause them.

If it's any reassurance I was able to slowly add dairy back when DD was around 7 months. I sure missed my ice cream!!

Good luck!!
    Lisa

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: BF baby poop/thrush questions

Thank you to everyone for all of the advice and support. In answer to your questions, yes, he is exclusively breastfed. Because of his heart condition, we did have to supplement with formula in the begining, but I managed to wean him down to one ounce or so a day, then off completely about a week and a half or so ago.

The poop is a yellow to an orangey color the majority of the time. There have been a couple of diapers with a small streak of dark green though, and 1 or 2 here and there theat were more of a brown color. The brown ones seemed very dry, but the vast majority have been like a pumpkin paste. The doctor did look at one while we were there yesterday, and says it looks like typical bf baby poop. The first week he ws born, they were more seedy than they are now though, but I guess that could just be a developmental thing- like maybe he is digesting more.

On the plus side, since last night, the horrible smell has gone away, and the frequency is definitely slowing down. YAY!!! Now they have this weird (I swear, I'm not making this up) buttered popcorn smell. LOL I thought I was imagining it, but my husband said the exact same thing. I'll taking popcorn over rotten egg any day. :)

I'm hoping whatever it was has finally passed through his system. I am leaning towards switching pediatricians though still, b/c I just don't feel 100% confident in her, and I'm too nervous as it is with his heart condition.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. I knew I could count on you all.

Lori

You are doing a wonderful job with your new baby. You have your heart full of worry for his condition - both his serious heart condition and now this. I cannot imagine the anxiety you must feel facing the surgeries ahead. Please continue to follow your heart and nurse your sweet baby. there is nothing you can ever do that is better for him (except pray). And as far as all this wierd pooping stuff - it is all in the range of normal for nursing babies, believe it or not. After nursing four babies of my own (all long term nursers), I think I've seen and smelled every kind of poop consistency. Please relax and enjoy your baby - you are doing a good job. (And yes, change that ped. to one whom you trust and can build a mutually respectful relationship. They may have the medical experience, but you are the one who has all the experience w/ your baby.)

Good to hear things are smelling better ;-) The first time I went to the movies after DD was born, the smell of the popcorn totally reminded me of her poops! Sounds like it could have been a little stomach virus or something. Trust your instincts with the ped, if you don't feel confident in her then it sounds like switching would be a good idea! Good luck in your search.

Lisa

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thrush is from an inbalance of healthy/unhealthy bacteria in your body so I could see how it would make for icky poops.

Ds never got it, but I did twice while BFing. Hurt like HECK! I suggest you take some probiotics along with whatever else they're giving you. Also, I would do a vinegar & water rinse on my breasts after each nursing session and change my breast pads (yeast can live in your bras, fabrics...cloth diapers).

The best description I ever heard was that nursing with thrush feels like someone is cutting glass through your nipples.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2