KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Is whole milk really necessary (vs. skim)?

I know I've read that until they're 2 years old, babies need whole milk for the fat. But, I've also read that if your child doesn't drink milk, but gets enough calcium from yogurt, cheese, and other sources, that it is just fine. So, if I can skip milk altogether, why do I have to give whole when I give it? It would be so much easier to all drink the same milk in our house.
    Kris

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Is whole milk really necessary (vs. skim)?

Cheese is high-fat, and babies should get whole milk yogurts too. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference if a toddler only drinks a little bit of milk (an ounce or two a day) because they are making up the calories with other appropriately high-fat foods. But if they drink more than that, then they are getting too many protein calories and not enough fat calories.

One alternative to buying whole milk is buy cream and add it to skim milk to replace the missing fat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

My DD refuses milk in any shape or form. We had success with goat milk for about 2 weeks and then molars starting coming in and forget it. I'm trying to mix a bit of whole milk or 2% with DD's formula and she revolts. If I put it in a sippy or straw cup she spews it out, warm or cold! I was so worried about calcium but DD loves yogurt and cheese so it sounds like we're ok...
    K
    DD#1 05/09

Whole milk is also supposed to be easier to digest than skim or 2%. Easier on the body to process, less salt, less sugar than other types. I don't have our little cheat sheet from the ped, but maybe one of the peds can fill you in on what I am inarticulately talking about. It just isn't about the fat in whole milk.

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04

mamamimi Guest

While it would be okay to go without milk and use yogurt and cheese to meet fat and calcium needs, you don't want to replace any of these high fat and nutrient rich foods with skim or 2% milk. Otherwise DC may fill up on the lower fat foods and not get enough fats in his or her diet for all that amazing development they are going through.

My ped also mentioned something about whole milk being easier on a baby's kidneys than skim or 2%, so that is part of the reason. I think it has something to do with digesting or absorbing the proteins found in the other milks. Their kidneys can't handle the increased proteins in the other types. It's not just the fat they need, it's easier on their bodies than lower fat milks.

Kim
    ~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before.

Andrew usually eats 4 oz of whole milk yogurt and 2 oz of cheese every day. He also drinks about 12 oz of milk. We were out of town this past weekend at a hotel, so our milk choices were limited. He drank 2% without a problem (I think no problem).

I guess I'll stick to whole milk at home for a while.
    Kris

If you happen to have the Dr. Sears book around (or I'll bet the info. is on his website)--there is a whole article on this (why whole milk is easier to digest).
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12