Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hapahaolegirl Guest

Default Finger foods for 10 month old?

Hi,

I've been feeding DD organic o's (like cheerios), veggie booty, Healthy Times Teddy puffs, and peas for finger foods. What else could I give her that's easy for her to grab and eat? I tried bananas/squash but she can't pick them up (too slippery). I tried apples but she just stores them in her cheeks and won't swallow them. Are there any other quick healthy finger foods I could give her?
    I thought about plain puffed rice but I wondered if those were too rubbery?

Thanks!

Kristen

Default RE: Finger foods for 10 month old?

Plain puffed rice is working well for us at 8 months - we just today gave Carrie some of the Gerber puffs and the rice puffs are much easier for her to eat. Of course, they're smaller and harder for her to pick up. I also started squishing peas out of their skins and she seems to do well with those. I don't know at what point the skins would be OK left on, though.

I hadn't thought about trying veggie booty. Guess I should add that to the grocery list!

Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can also dust the slippery foods with baby cereal or wheat germ or something powdery (graham cracker crumbs?) to make them easier to grasp.

Shredded or cubed cheese
    sliced olives?
    shredded carrot or cooked baby carrots
    hard boiled egg yolks
    shredded or cubed chicken breast, tofu
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

My DD is also 10 months. We are feeding her the same finger foods that you listed above along with stage 2 Earth's Best and
    Organic Baby baby foods. Are you still using baby food?

Thanks!
    R.W.

hapahaolegirl Guest

We are still using some baby food but that's because I have a few jars left over when I bought them a few months ago. Otherwise I wouldn't be feeding her baby food. She's only had about 5 jars of baby food total so far. I fed her regular unsweetened applesauce the other day and she loved it! I prefer that she feeds herself at this point though.
    Out of all the foods she eats she loves Veggie Booty the best. The organic o's are probably her second favorite.
    I was thinking of feeding DD soybeans today since I have them. I'll just have to break them up to small pieces for her and cook them so they are really soft.

Thanks!

Kristen

While DD is doing ok with the finger foods, she isn't actually getting enough in her mouth. I've been feeding her either with my fingers or the spoon (whichever is appropriate) in order to make sure she is eating enough at each meal. Is your DD eating enough on her own or are you having to help?

Thanks!
    Renee

SarahK Guest

Try rolling the banana in crushed cheerios or wheat germ--it will make it less slippery.

holliam Guest

Shred the apple instead of gvigin her chunks. You can coat the slippery items in crushed Oatios, wheat germ, or nutritional yeast. Or you can hand them to her and she'll get the hang of how to hold and pick up the slippery items.

I just posted this list in another post but here are some of the finger foods we've done. I forgot that we do hard boiled egg yolks too:

- Oatios (or any other organic O-shaped oat cereal
    - homemade, baked sweet potato "fries"
    - mango, pears, banana, blueberries (cut in half), grapes (quarters)
    - cooked zucchini, winter squash, carrots, brocoli (chunks or spears)
    - grated apple
    - tofu
    - cheese
    - scrambled egg yolks with cheese
    - toast strips (with butter, cheese or pureed veggies/fruit spread on them)
    - vegan waffles (egg free)

We just got some Veggie Booty to try this week.

Holli

hapahaolegirl Guest

My DD can eat pretty well on her own. The slippery things I give her with my fingers. She still gets maybe a fourth of what she is eating in her bib but overall she's eating well on her own.
    I'm not really worried about her getting enough to eat because she's still mainly on breastmilk. I only feed her regular food twice a day. I see me feeding her or her feeding herself regular food as practice and not so much as a source of nutrition.

Kristen

Thanks! That makes me feel much better!

Renee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast