Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cara1 Guest

Default RE: interveiwing a pediatrician

Although a BF-supportive ped is crucial in the first few weeks, I'm not sure how important it is after that. We moved when DS was 16 mos old and had to switch peds. I honestly don't even know how the new practice feels about it. I BF DS til I was pregnant with DD (he was over two), and it never really came up. I have my own opinions about EBF, I didn't really need the ped to second them. I go to the ped when I'm concerned about infection, illness, development, weight gain. I can get in to see someone 7 days a week. I can get in when the baby has a fever within a few hours. No, I don't get warm fuzzies, but the practice certainly meets my needs. Who cares how she feels about EBF? Just a thought.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is a tough one. There's no easy way to deflect the question if you are uncomfortable answering it, but I know I felt much more at ease with my ped when she told me about her breastfeeding experience. We bring so many personal biases into how we treat patients, it's going to have an influence.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You have recieved a lot of good advcice already. I just want to let youknow you are not alone. I amin the same situation. I would like to add that it can be imp0rtant tohave a bf friendly ped even if the baby is older. Most peds use growth charts based on a small sample of ff infants. If the baby is slow to gain after esp after 6 months many uninformed peds can recommend supplementing. When it is totally normal for a bf baby to slow down after 6 months etc. I think a good question is under what circumstances do yourecommend supplementing.
    Good luck. We are still looking too. I justhad an appt and it went about as badly as it could have. We are also not sure about the vax thingand want to discuss the options with our dr. He was not open to this.
    Eden 9/04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2