TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Any reason not to give DS rice?

Adam has been eating Earth's Best rice cereal for about two weeks. He loves it, and as I noticed that he started to munch his cereal before he swallowed, I figured that there was no reason not to introduce other fruits and vegetables. He had his first non-cereal food - pears that I steamed and mushed through a food mill - yesterday, and he seems to like them just fine.

My question concerns rice. Last week, my mom and I were eating lunch at an Indian restaurant. Adam was in his high chair, and when he realized that we were eating and he wasn't, he made sure we knew that he was not amused. My mom and I each had plain rice with our thali platters, and I figured that since Adam eats rice cereal with no problem, why not rice? I put a few grains in his mouth and after he made a very serious expresion on his face, he started munching away and then demanded more rice. (He didn't say, "More rice, mama!" - rather, he tried to grap at all the rice on my plate.) So, I fed him more rice, a few grains at a time.

I fed him plain rice again today when we were at lunch with 12 other people and he seemed a little miffed that he was the only one at the table without a hamburger.

Is there anything wrong with this? I'm really curious to hear y'all's thoughts...

indigo Guest

Default RE: Any reason not to give DS rice?

Rice should be fine, it's one of the least allergenic foods out there in my understanding. The only thing I've ever heard about rice is that it can be binding - i.e. if you find that your child is getting constipated it would be one of the foods to drop for a while.

Congratulations on your good eater!

indigo
    DD 7/04
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif
    twelve months and counting!

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it's a great idea. We gave DS rice as an early food; we didn't start as early as your DS, but around 10 months or so he was handling rice fine. We got short-grain valencia or arborio rice and made it somewhat sticky. He loved it! Now he hates it, but that's a different story...

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ooh - arborio! I wonder if it would be okay to give him some simple risottos? Like a risotto mixed with mushed up peas?

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know about peas, I would start with single-item foods first, then add. Lots of stuff in risottos, so you have to just make sure he's been introduced to everything else first.

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My only concernwould be at an indian restaurant they put butter in the rice and it is too early for that. With risotto it is pasta and would have wheat, I would start with more singleingredient thingsbefore you goto multiple ingredient things, because if he reacts to something you won't know what it is.
    Eden 9/04