Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kimberesq Guest

Default RE: Help! I think 4 mo dd is rejecting me!

I think that's one of the best analogies I've seen! My dd was the same way--starting too about that age. It just seemed that she needed to decompress a bit and sometimes just wanted the comfort of nursing, not the milk that came spraying out, and she used that time to fuss to me about her day! :)

Remember that you are probably her "safe place" and she can fuss to you when she can't fuss to the nanny--at least, that's what I always tell myself!

I second the thoughts about schedule changes. Those can make all the nice comfy nursing sessions that you've gotten settled fall completely to pieces.

Is it going any better?

--Kimberly
    Mama to the Nora-bird 6/14/04

iib6 Guest

Thanks Shannon, Susan, and Kimberly! I really appreciate all the advice, support and good wishes from everyone. Shannon, the coffee shop is a great analogy. I tried to check out lactnet - I think I sent a request to join... Do you have a link just in case?

It is possible that this is a result of a combination of reaching another dev. stage +/- teething. She started rolling over more predictably this week and she is certainly enjoying chewing on all sorts of things - hands(mine and hers), toys, etc...

I think things are looking up (I hope I am not jinxing myself by saying so). Yesterday evening into the morning Auden took 4 feeds at the breast - all without fussing. Of course she was virtually asleep during all of them so the real test will be this weekend. Today, Auden was fussy before I even got home from work(she refused to nap this afternoon - but that is yet a whole other problem) and I just finished a decent BF session with her. She is now asleep pressed up against me - which I know is a bad habit to foster - but I am just so relieved that she actually took the breast while awake!

Thanks again to everyone for your wise and kind words! I love this board!
    Ismee:-)

Hi Ismee, DD does resist occasionally during daytime but it's usually right before a nap so she is tired. She gets that puffy-eyed "I'm really sleepy look." And then sometimes she'll nurse, stop, look away, nurse, stop, cry, nurse, tug/gum me (ouch!). If tapping her doesn't work then I'll stop for a bit and then try again later if I know she's hungry.
    - Malia

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ismee, I have the link saved on my laptop, so next time I'm on I'll send it to you. I love reading it! Especially the need for BFing-friendly breast surgeons -- convinced me to consider that as my specialty.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Now in your profession you may have thought of this, but is it possible that she is not feeling well and laying in the nursing posotion is uncomfortable. An ear infection or something like thatcan cause this. It is also possible thatif you are experiencing anything like a possiblebreast infection the milk can taste different. If you have ruled out the medical possibilites it is possible that she is developing
    nipple confussion. It is easier to get milk from a bottle nipple than a humanone so children sometimes start tocomplain about the work it takes to nurse(very important work that has many dental mucular and skeletal benefits, see this months Mothering Mag for a great article on this). Nursing all weekend should help with this. I would also look the Kellymom.com on this topic that is a great resource as is breastfeeding.com their forums are particularly good.
    BTW I don't think that letting her cuddle up with you for a good snuggle is a bad habit at all. A baby gets all they need from the warmthand protection of being close to you and the milk you provide. They are programed to be happiest right there. What could be better esp after a long day apart for bothof you? Enjoy and don't bother feelingguilty about being close to your child. She will be a big girl who does need you that way far too soon anyway. For some good info on all of this kind ofstuff Ilike askdrsears.com also.

HTH and I hope things are going better already.

Leia
    Eden 9/04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2