yhtking Guest

Default How many oz of EBM or forumal for one month old

Does anyone know how many ounces should I one month old take? Is the general rule of thumb being 2 - 2.5 oz per lb? My DD is starting wiht the babysitter next month once I go back to work. Just curious to see how much EBM/formula I should take with her.

thanks.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How many oz of EBM or forumal for one month old

It's highly variable. I sent 3 bottles with about 3-4 oz each in them, though he rarely drank that much. I'd have it stored in 2 - 2 1/2 oz portions and send 10 to 14 oz for a 9 hour day, and have the sitter warm up more if she needs it. If you are not blessed with an abundent supply, EBM can be reoffered at the next feeding, but any new milk shouldn't be mixed in.

I often would keep a frozen bag or two at daycare, so that if he was particularly hungry, or in case of a spill or contamination of a bottle I sent, he would have plenty.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

Default RE: How many oz of EBM or forumal for one month old

I have seen 2.5 oz per lb as a general rule as well, although like the PP said, it does depend. We started our (not quite 4 weeks now) baby on 2.5 oz of EBM and he quickly has moved up to 3 oz, and sometimes 3.5 or 4 oz per bottle. And now he's often eating 3 oz every two hours. Aacck. Can't keep up with that and since so far I'm pretty much exclusively pumping, I know exactly how much he's getting and it does seem like a lot!

Debbie
    Mom to Sawyer!