holliam Guest

Default question about egg whites, peanuts, chocolate, oranges..

Okay, so tonight we finally got around to watching the last video we got from Mari's foster family. The footage was taken mostly the last week or so before we picked her up so she was 7.5 months old.

In this 75 minute video, we watched Mari eat:

- scrambled eggs from her foster mom's plate (definitely not with egg white removed)
    - a SNICKERS BAR *sigh* She was sucking on it but yes the peanut part was exposed too
    - an orange

So, they just loved her to pieces, and the video is so sad at the end when they are all saying good-bye to her. So, I'm trying to let go of my mommy guilt and feeling like I read up on all this stuff for nothing.

Are these all things that more exposure is likely to cause an allergen? Frankly, at this point I'm convinced she's pretty tough. She was also eating honey/wheat cereal, bread dipped in coffee, powdered milk, etc...

We added wheat to her at 8.5-9 months or so after you all convinced me since she had already been exposed it's probably okay. She loves it. Okay, now I'm laughing because I realized that she has been eating pasta. Doesn't pasta have eggs in it? (DH is the chef).

I will wait if you guys think so..really I am only curious about the egg whites because she is obsessed with finger foods and that gives us more choices. I have no interest in peanuts.

Someone toss me some reasonable advice. I don't know her family history but her Mayan heritage seems pretty tough so far. ;)

Holli

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: question about egg whites, peanuts, chocolate, oranges..

Oranges I think are more for the acidity--younger tummies can't handle it as well. If hers can, well, go for it. But it might make her uncomfortable (or give a slight diaper rash) without making her sick exactly, kwim?

Chocolate and egg whites are allergens, but if she's already had them, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Peanuts (like shellfish) I would probably still avoid just because the allergy is so severe and life-threatening. You need to be exposed to something more than once to develop an allergy from what I understand (maybe that was her only Snickers? ;)). But I have friends who did peanut butter at 7 months with no problems. If you're worried at all, you could probably get a skin test done with peanuts from your pediatrician and then storm on ahead.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and a BOY! (coming July '05)

You should be fine with the pasta. Egg noodles contain eggs but not the regular pasta.

With all the food she's tolerated so far, she certainly seems like a tough baby. :)
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the other posters. I think oranges are more for acidity at this point. If you want to give her some I would think it would be ok, but I wouldn't give her too much. If she has already been exposed to egg whites several times and hasn't had a reaction I'm sure it is fine to keep giving them to her. Depends on the pasta if it has egg in it or not, you would need to check the ingredients. As for the peanuts I would agree to wait on those. DS has been exposed a few times, but we are waiting a few more months before letting him go all out on peanuts. My understanding of peanut allergies is that increased exposure over time can lead to increased sensitivity, and it is better to wait until 2 or 3 to prevent peanut allergies.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

nitaghei Guest

I would definitely avoid exposure to nuts and shellfish, and even eggs - says the mama of the child who developed an egg allergy after 6 months of eating them without a problem. Limited exposure might not trigger the allergy that more extended exposure can. And dealing with food allergies is a mjor pain.

And most pasta is just wheat - no eggs. Only egg noodles have eggs.

If she can tolerate oranges, it's okay to continue. My DS still can't tolerate citrus - so he still doesn't get any - though he's a LOT older than Mari.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)