paigepea Guest

Default avent isis vs. madela mini electric vs. PIS

I will be a SAHM, but would like freedom to go out for a few hours at a time. this whole BF / breast pump thing stresses me out. price really isn't an issue, i'd like a breast pump that would work best for me.

i can rent a professional grade pump if i want to try it out. the cost is $60/month.

i've read good reviews about the isis - works fast, less to clean, smaller size/weight, good for travel

i've read not as good things about the mini electric, although it is highly rated and i have only read a few reviews from mothers - i heard it is fast but the suction isn't great.

then, should i just go for the PIS - which would be bigger and heavier to use/carry/travel with.

any advice would be helpful.

Paige.

arkansasfarmgirl Guest

Default RE: avent isis vs. madela mini electric vs. PIS

I have an Isis and a Medela double deluxe (gift). I MUCH prefer the Isis. It's light, quiet, and I can pump more faster. :-)

I have used both an Isis and a PIS. I really loved my Isis for the first 6 months, and used it when I needed to miss a feeding - generally once or twice a week. However, since Carrie started solids I've been having a hard time with plugged ducts. I borrowed my SIL's PIS and I think it does a slightly more effective job for me.

If I was not having this problem, I'd probably still be using my trusty old Isis. It's definitely a lot easier to travel with, and I honestly found it a bit more comfortable. I keep my PIS set up on my hearth near a comfy chair and only unplug and move it when I'm actually traveling.

Good luck!
    Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

SarahK Guest

I'm a SAHM and never expected to be pumping as much as I do--I am so glad that I have a PIS!! We had unexpected nursing difficulties and I ended up needing to pump before and after EVERY feeding for quite awhile in order to keep my supply up and to increase my hindmilk. I am so glad I went ahead and bought the PIS before my daughter was born.

If price isn't an issue, then I recommend getting the PIS right from the beginning. If you end up not needing its super capabilities, then that is great...but at least you'll have it handy if you do need to pump a lot.

Same deal here, SAHM and thought I'd just need to pump occasionally, so I bought the mini-electric. Then my DD was a week early and my milk was slow to come in, so I saw a lactation consultant and wound up renting a Medela hospital-grade pump for three months. I needed to pump after every feeding for weeks, and the mini-electric just was not up to that; the hospital-grade pump was a lifesaver.

I did use the mini-electric while on the road, but started to have all kinds of problems with it. I finally wound up having to buy a replacement when it conked out completely in the middle of a roadtrip (I had to call my sister from the car and ask her to look up the nearest BRU). I have one friend who bought a PIS and the Isis and uses the Isis almost exclusively, so I got the Isis and LOVE it. It's easy, quiet, and works more efficiently than the mini-electric did.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the $$$ for a PIS unless and until I was absolutely sure I needed it. Even if I need to rent a hospital-grade pump again for #2, I'll still spend less than if I had bought the PIS to start with.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the Isis is a good pump to start with. If you need more then go for the PIS. I probably sound like a broken record, but check with your insurance. I know Kaiser Northwest sells the PIS for a really good price (an LC I talked to can't get it wholesale for the price Kaiser sells it for).

Everything I've heard is that the Isis is better than the mini-electrics. I never used more than the Isis, but you can always get a PIS later if you need more.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I work from home. I originally purchased an Isis at the begining, borrowed a PIS from a friend 10 days after I gave birth because of mastititis and wanted to be able to pump both sides at once, and then recieved the Medela Single Deluxe (a mini electric that can be used with batteries, outlet, or by hand). So I've used all three.

First off, I think that the PIS **might** be overkill for a SAHM, depending on your lifestyle. Depends on how often you'll be pumping. Also, I don't want to confuse you more, but if you're thinking about an hospital grade pump, then you might want to consider the Ameda Purely Yours instead of the PIS. It seems to get good reviews on this board and is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the PIS. I think that someone on this board found out, through her research, that the PY has a smaller (not as strong) motor than the PIS. I don't know if that's true or not,but if it is, then as a SAHM pumping less frequently, you probably won't even notice.
    The Medela Single Deluxe is a joke. I felt that I could get much more milk with the Isis than with this pump. If you go online to check out the Mini Electric, then you'll see that some stores carry replacement motors for it! Enough said! Not worth it to spend $60 on a pump only to eventually have to replace the motor for $30.

tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

I haven't used the others, so I have no experience with those, but I've found the PIS to be a lifesaver. I'm at WAHM and thought it might be a bit overkill, but it turned out that we've had a lot of nursing problems and I've been pumping from Day 1 home from the hospital and the PIS has been great.

Like I said, I was afraid it might be too much for what I needed and I was buying it too early based on need as well, but I ended up bringing it to the hospital to make sure I knew how to use it correctly even and it's been very easy to use and great so far. If you're going to end up using it a lot, I would also recommend a hands-free bra! Also a lifesaver (it's so nice to actually be able to read while pumping...or do anything else!).

Debbie
    Mom to Sawyer!