Marcy_O Guest

Default Increasing Hind Milk Production?

Is there any way to increase the amount of Hind milk that I produce? I was getting a lot of it (I EP right now for DS who won't nurse regularly) and now my milk seems more watery and has less fat.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Increasing Hind Milk Production?

Hmm...I have no idea, but I do know when I was getting a Hindmilk/Foremilk inbalance, it just meant I had to make sure she was nursing long enough on one side before switching. When I was pumping, the LC's recommended double-pumping and pumping for at least 20 minutes every 2 hours. But that was partly to get my supply back up. My guess is that it is normal for you to have less fat as you go along, but maybe not that much less? My only thought is that you want to make sure you pump long enough on each side to get as much hindmilk out as possible.

Sorry I'm not much help! I know the other experts here will be able to help you!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Another thought I had (beyond just length of time) is fiddling with the settings on your pump to get a second letdown. My second letdown was always more fatty (thicker looking) than my first.

To get any letdown, I started the pump at the lowest suction, highest speed, then switched to a higher suction, faster speed after I got a letdown. If I was looking for a second letdown after 10 or 15 minutes, I'd switch it back to low suction/high speed until I got the letdown. Then back to the high suction/slow speed.

By getting a second letdown you can increase the time you pump, and hopefully increase the amount of hindmilk you get.

HTH!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second what Heather said. I always pump for two let downs, the first one being very watery and the second one looking more like whole cow's milk. Sometimes that second let-down takes a LONG time to get, though! I try not to let it get me down if I don't get much one evening. I usually get more the next evening as long as I leave it on high speed, low suction for a good long time after it appears that I'm "empty."

Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Has it been hotter lately? You may be produding more foremilk to increase the water content for him. If so, probably nothing to worry about and just keep doing what you are doing. But trying for a second letdown and doing breast massage while you pump won't hurt!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

Marcy_O Guest

AHA! Yes, it has been a LOT hotter here lately. I usually have three to four letdowns, and I think there's something up with my pump. I have to have it on the highest suction setting to feel like I'm getting anything. I will usually pump double for about 20 or so minutes, then switch to one at a time for about 10 minutes each. So should I keep going double for a longer period of time? As it is right now, I only pump about every 3 - 4 hours to avoid over- production (I get at least 6 oz every time I pump as it is now). I'll try all the other things suggested too. I hadn't thought about changing the speed of the suction...I'll try that.

Thanks!

Marcy