Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default UPDATE RE: Supply drop and returning to work

UPDATE: Hey Ladies! I started back at work yesterday and I am really getting the pumping thing! I didn't exactly stick to the schedule but just about. Here it is:
    4:30 a.m. dream feed
    5:15 a.m. leave for work
    6:45 a.m. pump for 15-20 min
    10:45 a.m. pump
    2:30 p.m. leave for home
    3:30 p.m. pump at home

Ideally the 3:30 pumping time I would feed her, but she is hungry at 2:00 and generally is sleeping when I get home. So far I have pumped about 18 ounces daily. It is 5:00 p.m. and she is still sleeping.
    Any advice Mamas? I am pumping using the cutest pictures of her,,,thankyou everyone for previous advice.
    Any other advice to be had? I am drinking a ton....

Hey Ladies..hoping you can all help. I am returning to work next Wednesday after an amazing maternity leave. I am returning part time on WED, THUR, FRI from 6am-2:30. I have a stash of milk in the freezer.
    I am pumping today and not getting very much milk...2oz combined. Now it is hot but I am drinking and eating fine. The baby hasn't nursed in at least 2 hours so I should have a bunch more milk. I am starting to get nervous that I will not produce enough milk. I pump with the PIS and the suction does seem weaker.
    What should I replace on the pump besides the membranes to increase suck?
    How does oatmeal work to increase supply?

Any other info would be so helpful..I really want to EBF as long as I can produce. Thanks in advance!!!

tbriese is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Supply drop and returning to work

hi rachel! i can't speak to the supply issues per se as i didn't have this scenario before returning to work but just wanted to let you know that i would have the odd day where i didn't pump as much as before. how much have you been pumping? is going down to 2 oz a huge drop? have you been sick lately? i haven't had any issues with my pump yet, but a friend had to replace the horn because of a crack.

i don't know how the oatmeal works. i tried making oatmeal a regular routine even if i wasn't certain it was making any difference. i also made sure i drank tons of water (like 80 oz). don't forget to pump for awhile after your milk flow stops. i try to pump for 20 minutes because i'll find that milk stops flowing after ~10 min and then i'll get another letdown.

i always tried to have a consistent time for pumping. i found that DD ended up on that "schedule" (her doing, not mine). maybe that was coincidence?

good luck :-)

Thank-you so much for responding! I have been pumping since she was 3 days old. I was paranoid that I would not have enough milk so I wanted to start a stash.
    Usually I pump 2x daily and get about 12 ounces. Yesterday I only got 3 oz combined...today I already have 3 oz so maybe yesterday was a fluke? I have not been sick...
    I will try pumping like you do and see if the extra time helps...
    I just really want this baby to have BM.......

thanks I will keep u updated!

tbriese is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

rachel,

you sound a lot like me only i started pumping when DD was ~2 wks old. i also was paranoid about not having enough milk. it's nice to have a good freezer stash to insulate you against those off days. keep up the good work!!

I've always been amazed by moms who were able to accumulate a stash during maternity leaves -- I think it's pretty hard to do, when you're at home and nursing the baby all day. So kudos to you -- you're doing a great job already!

In my experience, it was actually easier to pump when I was away from my DS for 8+ hours a day -- without him nursing, my body clearly knew it needed to do something to remain comfortable. After a few weeks back at work, I was pretty surprised by how much I was able to pump.

It's also not unusual to have the occasional off day. I wouldn't worry too much about only getting 2 oz today -- could just be a fluke. Also, I found that if I tried to pump too close to the time DS would be nursing again, I didn't get much of a letdown -- maybe the stress causes things to shut down a little?

Anyway, I bet you'll be fine. Good luck with your return to work, and let us know how things go! HTH!

Katia
    DS 2003
    Katia

THANKS FOR RESPONDING! I appreciate both of you for responding..and good news...I guess it was a fluke! For the past couple of days I have been able to pump at least 6 oz which is more the norm.(per time pumping)
    I am starting work this wed and hope that things go well. Thanks again for responding and I will keep you updated!

When you go back to work, try to have a picture of your baby available while pumping. It will help trick your body into getting more milk from the pump, since often the sight or sound of your baby helps to trigger letdown.

Goood luck!

Marcy
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Rachel, I'm so glad things are going well! It sounds like you're doing great. No advice to add, just wanted to send my wishes for continued success!

Katia
    DS 2003
    Katia

Thank-you Katia! So far, so good! THanks so much for your support! This board is so wonderful!