Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Having trouble finding plain yogurt with whole milk, does it exist?

Hi,

I am getting ready to start my soon-to-be 9 month old on yogurt. I have read that you really should begin with unflavored/plain yogurt made with whole milk. I can't find that anywhere! Grrr, I am sooo frustrated. Not even Yo Baby makes plain yogurt. I ended up buying a large container of plain made with 2% (that was the highest I could find). What has everyone else done in the past?

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions!

Karin
    Mother to Reagan (1/18/2005)

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: Having trouble finding plain yogurt with whole milk, does it exist?

I started with vanilla yogurt as it was the closest I could fine to plain at the time. (Not that it mattered though, because my DD didn't start liking yogurt until she was almost 2!) Since then I have found unflavored whole milk yogurt at Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Sometimes my local Albertsons will have plain whole milk yogurt made by Mountain High too.

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Annalia 3/03
    Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

Thanks, Jennifer, I will definitely check out Trader Joe's & Whole Foods (I never thought to look there).

Karin
    Mother to Reagan (1/18/2005)

simba Guest

Try the Greek yogurt TOTAL at Trader Joe's. It comes in different versions/amounts of fat LOL

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yep, that's the one I get at TJs. Although mine doesn't always have the whole fat version instock, so you might want to call ahead just to see if your's has it available.

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Annalia 3/03
    Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

analisa Guest

Lately we've been buying Brown Cow Cream Top plain yogurt in 8-oz. cups at Whole Foods. They also carry Stonyfield Farm whole-milk yogurt in 6-oz. cups, but that's more often out of stock. If I recall correctly, we picked Brown Cow because it has slightly more fat than Stonyfield. Also, Brown Cow puts lids on their containers--DD never eats a whole cup in one sitting--but Stonyfield doesn't.

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We fed him Brown Cow, but we never did plain, I think we started with peach:) Also, there is a great 8% milkfat yogurt made by Liberte, called Mediterranee(sp) we find it at our local health food store and I think you can get it at Whole Foods.

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I buy Dannon. It is at almost every grocery here (midwest). The whole milk version is in a blue labeled container which doesn't say whole milk, but if you compare to the lowfat and nonfat versions, it is obvious. I think it is labeled "Natural". I can only find the large yubs, though, so make sure to look with the large containers.

Sometimes I get Stonyfield Farms organic, so if you want organic, that might be an option. You can find a grocer here:

http://www.stonyfield.com/StoreLocator/StoreLocator.cfm

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Trader Joe's or Whole foods. We buy the Stonyfeild organic brand - with cream on top. Mmmmmmm, so delicious! TJ's also has their own line - Strauss Farms (I think) - this is by far the best yogurt I've had in this country.
    In India, we always made our own yogurt and nothing here tastes as good :(
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I really like Brown Cow plain yogurt (with the cream on top); it has a really nice mild flavor. Some of the Greek and Russian-style yogurts I've tried have been too tart for my liking.

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast