Default question about purely yours pump

Looking for advice from users of the Ameda Purely Yours pump. We have a 10 day old and started pumping 3 days ago, partially as an insurance policy to increase the milk supply at the suggestion of a lactation consultant and partially to build up a freezer stash for when i go back to work. Output so far has been a little less than 2 oz but tonight I got about 3 oz (having dh bring ds to me to coo at while pumping and using high cycle, low suction and then switching after a few minutes at the advice of others on this board helped a lot because I'm not sure I experienced any let down until tonight). Question is that is the pump supposed to be uncomfortable? Are nipples supposed to be slightly sore when you're done? Also the cycles don't seem to be that quick even on the highest setting. Just trying to figure out if the pump is working right or if it's user error. Thanks in advance.

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: question about purely yours pump

At 10 days, I think your output is great! I didn't get up to 4 or 6 oz per side until DD was a few months old. If you think your nipples are getting sucked too far into the flange, you can get these soft rubber inserts (I think it's called the Ameda Flexishield) that made a huge difference for me!
    Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    We made it to a year!

Default RE: question about purely yours pump

If you are also BF'ing my nipples were pretty sore in general for the first month or so...

Also, if you are BF'ing count how many times in a minute your baby sucks and see if the PY can match that...that's what I did at first and it ended up that DS sucked the same number of times as max speed and I generally get about 8-10oz a session.