Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    kboyle Guest

Default RE: Milk production from a dairy farm perspective

This was a great read, I enjoyed it and learned something in the process. It reminded me of that movie with Ashley Judd "Someone Like Me", I think that's what it was called, about an article she wrote about cow relationships.

When I pump or nurse I tend to kind of bouce or sway to the beat, i'll have to try to hum, sometimes DS looks at me like "Mommy, sit still". :)

OT, but I just bought a book at BRU called "How My Breasts Saved the World", book happens to be in DSs room and he's about to get up from his nap so I don't want to rush it :) so I don't know the author offhand. She writes about her experiences with breastfeeding. I'm only into the 2nd chapter, but it seems pretty funny and realistic.

pittsburghgirl Guest

Petra,
    I also wanted to thank you for this interesting thread. Thank you for agreeing that it is possible to not be able to BF. I was one of those, trying harder would not have helped me (unless my goal was to end up in the psych unit.)

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

Petra...I think that's a totally plausible explanation. Thanks for sharing. Just one more thing that again was not my experience. I did not go up a cup size at all when pregnant. My band size increased (just from overall weight gain, I guess) but my boobs stayed the same. I was actually worried during my pregnancy if I would be able to breastfeed since I have PCOS. It concerned me that my breasts didn't get larger. Of course, when my milk came in, wowza! but then they eventually got back to their original size. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience and if there's any explanation.
    Jen

Mama to Luke (9/04) and Dex (5/06)

It is actually known why foremilk has less fat, Petra.

The foremilk has been sitting in the ducts longer, and the fat is reabsorbed by the ductal epithelium, leaving a less fatty milk. Milk just being produced and released from the acinar cells where it is made has the highest fat content, it decreases with storage time. With cluster feeding, the milk tends to be fattier, because its turning over more quickly.

Do a PubMed search on "Peter Harner", as author. He's an Australian who has done great work on lactation physiology and pumping. Also check out Jan Riordan's book Breastfeeding: A guide for the lactation professional, which is a basic LC textbook.

Letdown makes all the smooth muscle cells in the ducts contract rhythymically, so the milk is expelled. It is unrelated to milk production, so you can have letdown with fuller or emptier breasts.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks so much Tarah!

I'll defintely check out the articles you recommended, and look for the book.

To me your post reads that (per the research you are referring to, that is) milk is stored in the milk ducts. Is that the case?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Yes, its made in the acini, which are little nests of cells, and released into the ducts. There is controversy about whether there are lactiferous sinuses, or dilated storage areas near the nipple within the ducts. Harner's research, using ultrasound imaging, suggests no, but lots of LCs report feeling them clinically. Doesn't matter, really, if they exist or not.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

"... I always thought it sounded like it was speaking to me in pump-language. Silly but true."

Kath, OMG, I always thought this too! I have an older PIS and the whine of it always sounded like it was saying secret things. Sadly, in my first week or two of very tense new motherhood and breastfeeding difficulties and unhappy pumping, I always thought it sounded like the pump was sneering, "F*** you, F** you." Really!

I'm not crazy, honestly!
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5