Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Who here didn't start with rice cereal?

I started with banana. She hated it.
    We gave her sweet potato after that and she gobbled that up. We've also given her carrots.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD started with banana, and I was having to fight her for control of the bowl and spoon! We didn't start cereal (rice or otherwise) until DD was 7 months and then only used it as a thickener/extender for the fruit or veggie she was getting. I did try to give her rice cereal once by itself when I first introduced it and DD turned up her nose at it.

The first couple of months with solids DD had in addition to banana- sweet potato, carrot, squash, zucchini, pears, apple, peas, green beans, and I am sure a couple items I can't recall right off hand.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Just curious...when you started with banana, did it slow down her poops at all?

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't noticed any constipation issues with banana. I think it is just one of those things that you need to try to find out. ;-)
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We started out with bananas. We just bought a bunch of organic bananas and made our own. DD isn't really on the solid train yet so we just break off a little piece of banana throw it in the chopper with some EBM and then give it to her. (Then DH or I ate the rest of the banana.) We would have wasted A LOT of food if we would have started with the jar.
    Kim

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is he acting like he's interested in solids? we did start with cereal, but mixed some pears and formula with it. We went to finger foods pretty fast since DS had a bunch of teeth. He really liked(and still does) spicier stuff, though he won't touch avocado now that he's older.

Some kids do have problems with bananas though we didn't.

Have fun!

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We started with avocado, sweet potatoes & homemade rice cereal. I just ground organic brown rice up in the blender and then cooked it on the stove.

I stuck with organic everything for quite a while.

Bethany
    mom to one and one on the way!
    http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
    "And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
    -J. Torres

kboyle Guest

After DS2s 4 mo check the ped suggested starting solids anytime from now till his 6 mo check. I noticed that Max was staring & drooling everytime we ate so I gave him some rice cereal right after Xmas. DS1 HATED rice cereal, so I wasn't expecting much, just lots of spitting. To my amazement he at it all up!! I guess he was ready for solids. After giving 1 T to him daily I gave a jar of the 1st foods green beans a try this weekend (again, not expecting much) and he ate the WHOLE jar!! I guess we'll be jumping on the solid food bandwagon earlier than I thought we would. I'm a big advocate of starting veggies first so I'll go thru veggies before I hit any fruits. Although I will be picking up an avocado or two when I go to the store tomorrow, so will be trying some of that later this week.

We were BF so I wasn't really worried about the iron, but I started with bananas, sweet potatoes and squash. We actually didn't do rice cereal until our Ped. pushed it. After two days, I notice DD was constipated so moved on to Oatmeal.

Saccade Guest

>We started with pears. I have quite a vivid memory of it
    >because DS was about 5 months 1 week old and lunged for the
    >pear I was eating and tried to chomp it. So I let him gnaw at
    >it a little and he liked it. I started on strained pears after
    >that. Though I did introduce rice cereal a week or so later.
    >:)
    >
    >Jennifer
    >mom to Jacob 9/27/02

DS did that too -- lunged for my pear. Instinctively I yanked it away and he BAWLED...

DS #1, 7/13/05
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabk20050713_-8_My+child+is.png[/img][/url]

Join us in the BBB Knit and Crochet Club:
    http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast