Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How can you avoid all those bubbles when making bottle from powder?

We have been using ready-to-feed formula to supplement breastfeeding, but I hate using all that plastic, not to mention that it's expensive. We've tried the powder, but it is so bubbly that my daughter, who is already hard to burp, is uncomfortable after the feedings.

Any trick to making a powder-formula bottle without all the bubbles? I've tried shaking it more gently, but no luck. We use Similac but are open to switching if another brand has a good powder.

Thanks!

Default RE: How can you avoid all those bubbles when making bottle from powder?

what I do make about a days worth of formula and fill up all her bottles then when its time for a bottle I just heat up her bottle and then just sort of swirl around the formula in the bottle. we have no bubbles that way. ( we also use dr. brown bottles)
    I use this system because I had the same problem you did, all those bubbles just made Jillian extremly gassy. Our ped is the one who suggested using this system.
    As for the formula, all the powder is the same I think. Jillian has been on 5 different formulas before we found one that worked for her
    (were using nutramigen now) so switching formulas won't make a difference.
    HTH

Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yeah, powder is powder. We found that each kind we tried was the same. We moved on to the concentrate pretty quickly. It was more expensive but I always felt more comfortable using concentrate or RTF because I found myself constantly second guessing whether I measured correctly. And, I HATED those bubbles. Depending on how much you are using, though, you might not go through an entire batch of concentrate within the timeframe it is good.

One cheater move we did when in a pickle and we needed to use powder and feed quickly before the bubbles could dissipate was to add a few Mylicon or some other simethicone gas drop directly into the bottle. We didn't find gas drops to be particularly effective when we gave them to DD but they worked really well in keeping bubbles from forming in a bottle when it was being shaken.

Jamelin
    DD Susanna 6/29/04

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The trick we figured out when making bottles for DS1 is to mix with a chopstick. It usually gets all bubbly when you are trying to mix, so we make it as easy as possible to stir. The other thing that helps is using warmer water - I boil water for about 1/3 of the total bottle amount, then add the formula and mix with the chopstick and then pour in the cold water to top up. You need to pre-measure the water so that you use the right amount (or I just eyeball it for the finished amount - i.e. 8 oz of water plus formula usually ends up with 9 oz total).

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I supplemented due to low supply. I would mix up the powder in advance, often the night before, making as much as I would need to use in one day.

By morning the bubbles were gone.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

We do what some of the PPs have said--we make up a whole batch at a time and then by the time we need it, the bubbles are gone. At this point we're probably making up a 32 oz batch at once, making bottles and then putting them in the fridge for the next uses.

Debbie

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

After I quit mixing up in batches, I started using a mini wisk. Worked wonders.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

jenny76 Guest

We had this problem for a while.

After you shake the bottle, tap it (from an inch or two in the air) on the counter a few times. That breaks the bubbles, and lessens the chance she'll be uncomfortable.

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure if you feel okay about using mylicon drops but one drop works wonders on breaking up the bubbles and fighting gas. DS was a super gassy spit-uppy baby, once on mylicon drops he was tons better, I used to put just one or two drops in his bottle and it would help break the bubbles down. You can also just get generic drops they sell at Target or Walmart infant anti-gas drops.

kboyle Guest

I second what some pp said. I got rid of the bubbles by warming the water first and then mixing in the powder. it mixes better, so you shake less. mylicon drops in just shaken formula also work to reduce the bubbles and gas in your babe.

With DS1 I used to make batches, but then I had to warm up the cold formula. With DS2 I make the bottles for ea feed so DS doesn't get used to warm formula. It's easier on the go and when he used to eat at night. i only pre-make bottles if someone is watching the boys, it's easier on them and all they have to do is heat. DS2 doesn't mind the temp of his bottle as long as it's not fridge cold.

They make battery operated formula stirrers at BRU. At least they used to. It was like a mini whisk w/ a battery. You could always use that option. Sometimes I stir with a butter knife, that also gets rid of bubbles, but I'd rather shake then make more dirty dishes :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast