Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How can you avoid all those bubbles when making bottle from powder?

We used the Similac powder exclusively, and finally bought the Target brand one day, just out of curiousity, since it is so much cheaper. We found it does not bubble at all! We were so surprised, from then on that was the only kind of formula we used. DD had no problems switching either, which was great.

brownlesa Guest

This might be a silly questions but what do you mix the days worth of formula in? Do you shake it? I have tried a couple types of tupperware and rubbermaid pitchers but they have leaked or it was too hard to get the powder in the top.

TIA
    Leslie

btherndon Guest

We used Similac for several months and put in the Mylicon drops. I tried the Walmart brand with DHA and ARA, it has all the same ingredients and nutrients for half the price. It does not bubble at all. So you don't need to buy Mylicon drops or make it in batches.

GL

kusiakje Guest

We've tried the Nestle Good Start with DD a few times, and the bubbling is minor. I also have used Enfamil Gentlease and it also has very little bubbling.

What worked for us when DD was a newborn was to make a bottle shortly after she was done eating, so the bubbles could dissipate. Whoever said that infants will eat every 3-4 hours if they're formula fed never met our kid. She wanted to eat every two or two and a half hours...and because Enfamil can stay unrefrigerated up to two hours after preparation...we never had a problem. She had always finished her next bottle before the deadline.

Now that she's older, we make a bottle whenever we hear DD start to wake up. She makes a big production out of waking up...lots of yawning, stretching, rubbing at the eyes, etc. In those few minutes all the bubbles disappear from the Good Start and Gentlease.

So, if you don't have a Wal-Mart nearby, (I wish we did...PP sold me on their store brand) here are two other options for you.

--Jessica
    Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

jeannine6 Guest

We use the Generic brand as well. When we were just starting to supplement (we are now at all formula) we tried all of the different brands and found that the generic ones worked the best with my son's stomach.

All generic formulas are made by the same company. We have been very happy (especially AJ) since started to use them.

And yes, there were a lot less bubbles. It also didn't leave a film on the bottle like the Similac and Enfamil ones did.

mommyof1sweetboy Guest

We use Similac (ewccomended by lactation specilist as most popular)
    We measure the water (part warm, part room temp), put in the scoops of formula, shake well then unscrew and scoop off bubbles, give it a little stir to check for unmixed lumps, then rinse inside of nipple. Sounds like a lot of work but it takes seconds and works well.

Mindy

I have only made 2 bottles for my DS but the first one was similac and it was horrible.
    Today I went and got the Target brand, used warm water and put the powder in first. (I used another bottle to measure the correct amount of water. Even when I shook really hard and got some bubbles they disapated almost immediately.
    HTH
    Shannon

MargieMe Guest

I use the blender on pulse, Parent's Choice formula, and make all of the days bottles at once (~40 oz). It wasn't the bubbles that started me, but wanting it all over with at once. I found that 3/4 C powder, added in 3 installments will give enough forumula for 24 hours.

To answer your question about a pitcher. I use one that I bought at BRU for about $8 and it works great. It is listed on their website, but there is no pic of it. It just takes a little getting used to when it comes to getting the lid off since it fits so tightly. I have never had a problem with leaking.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...468816-0797407

I've also heard that this one from Pampered Chef is great, but I haven't ever tried it.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=ET

If you don't want to mix 32 ounces, you can just mix what you think you need for the day and still use a pitcher. DD has never been a huge eater, so sometimes we don't need a full pitcher. I just mix what we need, but do it with the pitcher. I find that there are less bubbles after it sits in the fridge, even when you shake it to remix before serving.

If you use Mylicon, just be aware of dosing info. It is safe, but a dose is .3ml which is only a few drops. I also found that my DD gets constipated if she gets too much of it. I know it's not supposed to be constipating, but it sure is for her!

HTH,

Default RE: I have the ultimate solution!!!

With my method, it does not matter so much which pitcher you use, though I found the Pampered Chef one (with the sieve that slides up and down inside) to be by far the best, because it perfectly breaks up all the powder clumps! I have used "formula" pitchers, and they do not hold a candle to the PC one.

But, here is the real secret: put a few simethicone drops into the pitcher *before* you stir or shake. Mylicon or any of the knock-offs will work (Dollar General has them). I dabble in cosmetic formulation, and know that simethicone is completely inert, so have no qualms giving this to my DD. With this method you will have absolutely NO bubbles or foam, it is like magic.

Have fun!
    Barbie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast