Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What does nursing feel like for you?

I'm trying to figure out what's normal and what's not. So, i thought I'd come here and ask you all how it feels? Do you have random pain every once in awhile? I've had thrush since DD was born, so I've never known nursing without it. I feel like we are soooooo close to getting rid of it. I keep waiting for my first symptom free day, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what is normal and what might still be the yeasty-beasties!

Every once in a great while I'll have a shooting pain in my breast - not necessarily after a feeding. Normal? or yeast?

And does your let-down burn a bit? It always has on me, but it's much less than what it used to be. Is some burning normal?

I guess I should also add that DD's latch sucks. (hee hee, pun intended!) 7 out of 10 times I have to relatch her. She can do it right, she just gets lazy sometimes. So, sometimes I know my nipples are sore because of that.

TIA,
    Jenn

Default RE: What does nursing feel like for you?

I'm not sure I know, exactly, what's "normal" as I had a cracked nipple on one side that took 4 months to heal. I think there might have been some yeast issues as well that were causing the slow healing. What finally did it for me was washing that side with a vinegar water solution after every feeding and sunning/airing out constantly. But I digress.

I CAN describe what was/is "normal" for me on one side versus the injured side:

On my "normal" side --
    NO burning. I'm not sure burning is EVER normal. I never had shooting pains unless something was wrong. However, you also didn't say how far into your nursing relationship you were. The first three months were full of ups and down and adjustments for me -- lumps, tingling feeling during letdown sometimes, tenderness all came and went. I stopped feeling the letdown about 3 months in.

On the injured side/yeasty side the symptoms slowly faded until one day I realized I was completely pain free. Once my underlying issue was resolved, I NEVER had soreness, not even when DS latches and relatches (which he has also always done a lot). Until we hit teething LOL.

Good luck, and congratulations on making it this far despite the occasional problem!

lmariana Guest

I have no idea what's normal either, but when we nurse I feel NOTHING. I can barely tell if he's latched on sometimes! I'm sure this will change with age though.

Mariana
    Mom to Gabe (8/03) and Atom (10/05)
    www.heinzandmariana.com

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I nursed DS for 20 mos and I ALWAYS had a slight burning sensation at let down. So, I guess for me, that was normal.

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not sure what normal is either. I have to imagine it is different for everyone so I am not sure I can help. I didn't have latch issues nor problems with thrush so my experience may be different than yours. I experienced a burning sensation with my let down until around 2 months or so and an occasionally shooting pain here and there. Now, I don't feel any burning with let down or any pain at all when she is nursing.

I hope you have your first symptom free day soon.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can answer the let-down part. Let-down for me burns pretty strongly. It is letting up a bit, but there have been times I've needed to do fifteen seconds of v-e-r-y s-l-o-w b-r-e-a-t-h-i-n-g. It's pretty normal to feel that part.

-Rachel
    Mama to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...ethyst_36m.gif
    Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
    10/19/05
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya

I had burning pain at let-down for quite a while, and also had refill pain -- shooting pains between nursing sessions. They both went away eventually. It's one of those things where one day you think "Hey! It's been a while since that happened. Hunh. Wonder when it stopped?"

kboyle Guest

With DS2 I haven't had any nursing issues, thank God, because DS1 was chock full o' problems. Like a pp said I have refill pains every now and then if he's skipped a feeding or happens to get a bottle instead. I have a tingling pins & needles pain at let down, but that has eased up lately. I also do get some shooting pains throughout the day, not at feeding, not when "refilling", just randomly sometimes. And they hurt, like someone stabbing me in the boob hurt!

With DS1 EVERYTHING hurt, just someone looking at my boobs hurt, just me thinking of my boobs hurt, the only thing that didn't hurt was the actually feeding itself!

What a range. I have very, very, occasional random shooting mild pain sensation in my breasts. It's very mild and brief. I never have had burning at let down. With DD1, I had a somewhat rough start at nursing, but it resolved pretty easily in a few weeks. With DD2, I have had a very easy and problem-free nursing relationship.

For me, nursing feels like a smooth, comfortable seal of baby sucking at the breast. If she's hungry, then I feel her pulling the breast a tiny bit, no discomfort, and I might feel a tad bit of fullness in my breast. (I do not have a strong letdown sensation and certainly not now that DD is 14 months old). If she's nursing more for comfort/relaxation/just a little bit of food, then I really just feel the slight sensation of her mouth and my breast touching,but not much sucking going on and no fullness or letdown on my part.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't really feel anything, and I have never felt a letdown when nursing. On occasion, early on, I would sometimes feel a very slight (not painful at all) warm feeling- but never when nursing and I never had leaking along with it, so I don't know if that was a letdown or what! I can feel DD sucking for the first few seconds, but after that I don't really feel it anymore. Recently she has started very dramatically pulling off when she's ready to switch or take a breather....more like she just pulls her head far enough back until she pops off! Now THAT is uncomfortable!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast