coachkath Guest

Default Your thoughts on various formulas

Hi everyone,
    Without going into details, I am now formula feeding rather than BFing. I started with Similac and when DD had constant constipation I asked the dr if I should switch formulas. She said no, that would only make the situation worse. However, I decided to switch after discussing the situation with a friend who worked for years with WIC and is now studying to be a midwife. She said it's not so bad to switch formulas. This is what I found, and what I'd like to hear from others regarding their experience:
    -Similac made my DD sound like she had a cold all the time
    -She was always constipated
    -The formula was very "foamy" - could this cause gas?
    -She would have 4 oz nearly every 3 hours on the dot.

I then tried Enfamil (a free sample) and I found that she ate less of it (usually 3 oz rather than 4) and didn't get out of control hungry as if she didn't eat every 3 hours. I tried to buy the Gentle-Ease Enfamil yesterday but it was recalled (there's a post regarding that on the board), so since I had a coupon I bought Good Start. Also seems to need less to fill her up. AND she's not nearly as constipated

And these 2 brands didn't make her sound all stuffy. Neither of these brands were foamy either - although I'm not sure she likes the taste of the Good Start

I'd love to hear your experiences with different formulas.
    Kathy
    mom to Kelly - nine weeks

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Your thoughts on various formulas

We had a great experience with Good Start-our pediatrician recommended it. I weaned at 5 months and DS took to it really well.
    In terms of the foamy-ness, could it be how you are preparing it? When we first weaned, we were really anal about stirring it with a spoon (or knife, depending on size of bottle) instead of shaking it. Later, as DS got used to the bottles, we were less careful but I think it helped in the beginning.

HTH!

Beth
    B

DS
    DD

To reduce the foam, we just put a few drops of Mylicon into the pitcher in which we were mixing the formula. Also, the Pampered Chef pitcher (with the little paddle inside) is wonderful for completely dissolving formula lumps without excessive foam.

Barbie

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

All formulas brands are regulated to contain certain vitamins, minerals, etc so changing isn't going to "make things worse" imo. Changing between brands (milk based for example) is fine. What's not recommended is changing between types (soy, hypoallergenic, lactose free, cereal added)

I think a certain amount of tinkering is necessary because they all contain different extra ingredients which could make a child constipated (or gassy) on one, fine on another.

I would give a brand 2 weeks to figure out if its what you want.

GL
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

Like another post stated they are all regulated and my ped said buy the cheapest because they are all about the same. So I started reading labels and found that Most store brands as well as bright beginnings are all made by the same company. So I bought the offbrand and DS always liked it. It is about half the price.

Switching between formulas can cause constipation. This is probably what your doctor meant. But, if you don't think the formula is working for your baby, I would try different brands. I always used the Costco brand when I was using forumula.

Switching is perfectly fine. We went from Similac to Good Start because Good Start had less bubbles. I think we tried an Enfamil too because it was a free sample. Just out of curiousity, is your pede a parent? I'm not telling you not to trust your pede but everyone is entitled a second opinion. My dh is a physician and I always get a second opinion aside from his.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We began using the Wal-Mart brand right away, which was not my idea; my husband "snuck it in" under my nose and I didn't realize that it wasn't the food store's brand or Target's brand or whatever (not a Wallyworld fan, but that's ok). He did great on it. Like other posters here, I had no problem with a store brand, and he liked it fine. Foamy yes.

As an aside, I visited a friend with my 9-week-old DS and brought along the ready to eat stuff -- Similac. I KNEW it was a diff brand and I KNEW that I should not switch, but I DID NOT make the connection that this was a mistake. Completely floated by me. After 2 bottles, dirreah big time. Very very unhappy baby. Stupid me.

That said, I also agree that it's not a good idea to switch formulas, but if you have to, then you have to, so finding whatever works for you is the right answer. Hope you continue to do well!